What is meant by "2-pole", "3-pole" or a "4pole" motor?

• Thread starter scothoward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary: Hope this helps, in summary, a 3-pole motor has three windings on the armature that excite in sequence to make the motor turn, while a 4-pole motor has two windings and a sextupole has six.
scothoward
Motor "Poles"

Hi, I am currently studying induction motors and I am little confused about 1 concept. I know it is probably a really basic question.

Engineering news on Phys.org
scothoward said:
Hi, I am currently studying induction motors and I am little confused about 1 concept. I know it is probably a really basic question.

3-pole?

A magnet as 2 poles, so a 2-pole motor is like a magnet spinning on a shaft perpendicular to the poles. A 4-pole motor is like 2 magnets

That was my guess but I got confused when I saw this article:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/motor6.htm

"Almost always, however, the rotor will have three poles rather than the two poles"

A motor with three poles would have three windings in which you would excite the winding in a sequence to get the motor to turn. I am not sure what the best analogy to use is but a stepper motor would be a good chose in my mind. The armature is made up of teeth and depending on which winding in energized is where the teeth line up to. Successively energizing the motor windings will line up the teeth progressively with the windings causing the rotor to turn. It is more complicated with induction motors but essentially you are inducing a current into the armature which will constantly oppose or attract (I can’t specifically remember which) the action of the energized winding or "pole" and will be virtually the same thing.

scothoward said:
That was my guess but I got confused when I saw this article:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/motor6.htm

"Almost always, however, the rotor will have three poles rather than the two poles"

There are 3-PHASE induction motors. I never heard of a magnet with 3 poles

There are also 4-pole (Quadrupole) magnets used in focusing ion beams. There are also sextupole magnets (6-poles). (I would post a picture but I don't have permission to post it) a quadrupole magnet is actually 4 magnets with their poles radialy placed about an axis with the other sides of the magnets connected with an iron core. Here is a link to a DC motor with three poles on its armature. http://www.ztrains.com/pages/tech/3_pole/3pole_1.html
As you can see it is similar to my description of the quadupole magnet accept the magnets have their poles facing outward and joined in the center. This is how that terminology applies to motors and magnetic assemblies.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "2-pole" mean in terms of a motor?

A 2-pole motor is a type of electric motor that has two magnetic poles or regions. These poles are created by the interaction of the motor's stator (stationary part) and rotor (moving part). The number of poles in a motor determines its speed and torque characteristics.

2. How does a 3-pole motor differ from a 2-pole motor?

A 3-pole motor has three magnetic poles, which means that it has a higher number of electromagnetic cycles per revolution compared to a 2-pole motor. This results in a slower speed and higher torque output.

3. What are the advantages of a 4-pole motor?

A 4-pole motor has four magnetic poles, which allows for a smoother and more efficient operation compared to a 2 or 3-pole motor. It also has a higher torque output and can handle heavier loads. Additionally, 4-pole motors are more commonly used in industrial and commercial applications.

4. Is a higher number of poles always better for a motor?

Not necessarily. The number of poles in a motor depends on the specific application and requirements. While a higher number of poles can provide smoother operation and higher torque, it also results in a slower speed. On the other hand, a lower number of poles can offer faster speed but lower torque.

5. Can a motor have more than 4 poles?

Yes, motors can have any number of poles, though 2, 4, 6, and 8 pole motors are the most common. The number of poles is chosen based on the desired speed and torque characteristics for the specific application. For example, large motors used in industrial settings may have up to 12 poles.