Question on concentration of pigment in textile fibers

In summary, the usual values for concentration of pigments in textile fibers can range from 0.1% to 2% by weight. The concentrations mentioned in the Google Books resource refer to the percentage of a specific pigment in a yarn, not the overall concentration of pigments in textile fibers. Further research and consultation with experts is recommended for more specific information on this topic.
NLO
Hi!

I am looking for some help with understanding what are the "usual" values for concentration of pigments in textile fibers. Would appreciate any help, links, comments..

I did some search on the Internet. The resource that I was able to find is this:
http://books.google.com/books?id=yS...ts=p43ArNpBND&sig=r3lo02jzc6v7kgjzTYEJeLAAAZo

It says:
... reflection curves obtained for a yarn made with 0.125%, 0.375% and 1.25% of a 25% concentrate of Yellow 17 in polypropylene...

Does this mean that the concentration of pigment in yarn is 0.125%, 0.375% and 1.25%?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi!

Thank you for your question. The concentration of pigments in textile fibers can vary depending on the type of fiber, dyeing method, and desired color intensity. Generally, the concentration of pigments in yarn can range from 0.1% to 2% by weight.

The resource you found on Google Books is discussing the reflection curves for a yarn made with different concentrations of a specific pigment, Yellow 17. The concentrations mentioned (0.125%, 0.375%, and 1.25%) refer to the percentage of the pigment in the yarn, not the overall concentration of pigments in textile fibers.

I would recommend consulting scientific journals and textbooks on textile dyeing and coloration for more specific and comprehensive information on the usual values for concentration of pigments in textile fibers. Additionally, you can also reach out to textile dye manufacturers for their recommended concentrations for different pigments and fibers.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any further questions. Best of luck with your research!

Hello there,

The concentration of pigment in textile fibers can vary depending on the type of pigment, the desired color intensity, and the type of fiber being used. However, a common range for pigment concentration in textile fibers is between 0.1% to 3%.

In the resource you found, the concentration of the pigment Yellow 17 in the polypropylene yarn is 0.125%, 0.375%, and 1.25%. This means that for each 100 grams of yarn, there is 0.125 grams, 0.375 grams, and 1.25 grams of Yellow 17 pigment.

I hope this helps! If you need more information or have further questions, please let me know.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the concentration of pigment in textile fibers?

The concentration of pigment in textile fibers is an important factor in determining the quality and appearance of colored fabrics. It can affect the intensity and depth of color, as well as the overall durability and longevity of the fabric.

2. How is the concentration of pigment in textile fibers measured?

The concentration of pigment in textile fibers is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a sample of fabric. This data is then compared to a standard to determine the concentration of pigment present.

3. What factors can affect the concentration of pigment in textile fibers?

The concentration of pigment in textile fibers can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of dye or pigment used, the method of dyeing, the type of fiber, and the conditions during the dyeing process (such as temperature and pH levels).

4. Why is it important to maintain consistent pigment concentration in textile fibers?

Consistency in pigment concentration is crucial for achieving uniform and desirable color in textiles. It also ensures that the fabric will have consistent colorfastness and resistance to fading, which is important for consumer satisfaction and product quality.

5. Can the concentration of pigment in textile fibers be adjusted after the dyeing process?

In most cases, once the dyeing process is complete, the concentration of pigment in textile fibers cannot be adjusted. However, some dyes and pigments may be more soluble and can be removed or altered with additional treatments. It is important to carefully follow dyeing instructions to achieve the desired pigment concentration in the final product.