Evaluating the Integral of (arcsinx)^2dx using Integration by Parts

• Thread starter Vash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
Using integration by parts again, let u = t^2 and dv = \cos t dt.Then, du = 2t dt and v = \sin t.Plugging into the formula, we get:\int t^2 \cos t dt = t^2 \sin t - \int 2t \sin t dtUsing integration by parts again, let u = 2t and dv = \sin t dt.Then, du = 2 dt and v = -\cos t.Plugging into the formula, we get:\int t^2 \cos t dt = t^2 \sin t - 2t \cos t + \int 2 \cos t dtS
Vash

Homework Statement

elvaluate this integral (arcsinx)^2dx

Homework Equations

(arcsinx)^2dx

The Attempt at a Solution

integration by parts, let u= arcsinx and make y=arcsinx for easier integration. Once i plug it into the parts equation it turns into a mess. Any help would be superb.

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be solvable by using substitution and integration by parts one after the other.

HINT: Let sin u = x.

That's what I've been doing and it still doesn't work out for me...oh well, I'll keep trying.

[tex]\int(\sin^{-1}x)^2dx[/tex]

[tex]t=\sin^{-1}x[/tex]
[tex]dt=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]

[tex]x=\sin t[/tex]
[tex]dt=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-\sin^2 t}}[/tex]

Continue simplifying and see what you can get.

Last edited:
im getting xarcsinx+sqrt(1-x^2)

Vash said:
im getting xarcsinx+sqrt(1-x^2)
Final answer? Take the derivative and see if you get your Integral.

Im not sure how to do it your way so I just set it up by integration by parts. u=arcsinx, du=1/(sqrt(1-x^2)) dv=dx v=x. When I do it i get my answer above.

After simplifying, the Integral becomes ...

[tex]\int t^2 \cos t dt[/tex]

Last edited:

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total amount of something, such as distance or volume, given a rate of change.

What is the purpose of evaluating an integral?

The purpose of evaluating an integral is to find the exact numerical value of the area under a curve. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you evaluate an integral?

To evaluate an integral, you must first identify the function being integrated and the limits of integration. Then, you can use various techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to solve the integral and find its numerical value.

What are the different types of integrals?

The different types of integrals include definite and indefinite integrals, as well as single and multiple integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not. Single integrals have one independent variable, while multiple integrals have more than one.

Why is it important to check the answer when evaluating an integral?

It is important to check the answer when evaluating an integral because it is a complex process and errors can easily be made. Checking the answer can ensure that the integral was solved correctly and that the numerical value is accurate.