Visualisation of H2 molecule wavefuctions needed

In summary, the conversation discussed the visualization of wavefunctions for the H2 molecule at 0 K and the equations that govern them. The participants also questioned why the protons in a chemical bond do not repel each other and what keeps them together. The strong nuclear force and the role of electron shielding were mentioned as factors in the stability of the bond. The conversation also delved into the difference between classical and quantum mechanics in explaining the forces involved.
the kinetic energy is [tex]T=-\int\Psi\nabla^2\Psi d^3r[/tex]

Here is a picture of H2 molecule i played with now (just 1 electron though,
but with two protons). I solved it by the package comsol/femlab in 3D:

Per

Attachments

• H2mol.jpg
    H2mol.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I missed the hbar^2/2m factor in the kinetic term and it is for 1 particle only, i.e., Psi=Psi(r_1)

[tex]\nabla^2\Psi=d^2\Psi/dx^2+d^2\Psi/dy^2+d^2\Psi/dz^2[/tex]

here is a better picture which is symmeric and without noicy "cut-surface":

/Per

Attachments

• H2mol1.jpg
    H2mol1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 410
nuclear action happens bewteen all atoms, just not at the scale big enough to cause any effects... and i wasnt aware that a coulomb had anything to do with the H2 molecule

sorry if this has been addressed before, but part of the reason a covalent bond forms is that the two electrons want to be closer to each other due to a quantum mechanical effect, bosons like to be closer to each other and electrons in certain orbitals become bosons (when their in certain orbitals their spin adds to an integer) and so those electrons can bind in molecules, of course this is only part of how a molecule forms with E&M forces also playing a role.

it begins to get sketchy whenever you're talking about forces in QM as QM doesn't understand the concept of a force, except in the classical limit

per.sundqvist said:
Ok here is the definition:

[tex]<\Psi\mid\hat{H}\mid\Psi>=\int d^3r_1\int d^3r_2 \Psi(r_1,r_2)\hat{H}\Psi(r_1,r_2)[/tex]

You forgot a "*" in the first Psi.

The quantum mechanical exchange force from the overlap of wavefunctions establishes the covalent bond.

The expectation value of the square of the separation distance between two particles for identical particles is different than distinguishable particles.

Identical particles can have an expectation value greater or less than that of distinguishable particles depending on their symmetry.

Symmetric spatial wavefunction:

p --> 2e <-- p

Antisymmetric spatial wavefunction:

e <--p p-->e

When considering the full wavefunction we have to include spin. Thus, to get covalent bonding, the electrons have to be in the antisymmetric spin singlet state to make the full wavefunction antisymmetric for fermions with the symmetric spatial wavefunction causing the charge density to be greater between the protons.

"You forgot a "*" in the first Psi."

Yes you are right, but the anzats I gave in a previous post was all real wave functions, so the complex conjugate is not necessary.

About electronic bosons it is formally correct that 2 pair of electrons could be seen as bosons, but is not clear if this is something you in practice really use?

[tex]\Psi(\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2,\vec{x}_3,\vec{x}_4)=+\Psi(\vec{x}_3,\vec{x}_4,\vec{x}_1,\vec{x}_2)[/tex],

Per

per.sundqvist said:
> "You forgot a "*" in the first Psi."

Yes you are right, but the anzats I gave in a previous post was all real wave functions, so the complex conjugate is not necessary.
Are you sure that formula is for real wave functions?

I thought we avoided the actual complex wave function (lowercase psi) by using the probability density function instead (uppercase psi = magnitude(psi)^2).

Uppercase psi, which is the full wavefunction, including the spinor, is symmetric when your dealing with bosons.

Cooper pairs are coupled electrons that form a boson state. Covalent bonding is not Cooper pairing but the exchange force.

XVX said:
Uppercase psi, which is the full wavefunction, including the spinor, is symmetric when your dealing with bosons.

Cooper pairs are coupled electrons that form a boson state. Covalent bonding is not Cooper pairing but the exchange force.

Any examples of the maths that go with these would be appreciated.

The function that Per as given as uppercase psi looks like probability density function to me (or charge density).

Here's Per's function again:

[tex]\Psi(\vec{r})=c_1e^{-\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2}/a_B}+c_2e^{-\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+a)^2}/a_B}[/tex]

He said it's the approximate 1s solution. Looks like the sum of 2 independent atoms. Anyone got the exact solution for the molecule?