Solve Rolling Ball Problem: Find Speed & Normal Force

In summary, the problem involves a ball rolling down a rough fixed sphere with a given radius. The speed of the ball and the normal component of the reaction force at a specific angle are to be determined. Using the conservation of energy equation, the speed of the ball is found to be (10/7g(r+a)(1-cos(alpha))) ^1/2. To find the normal component of the force, the net force between the ball's weight component and the centrifugal force is calculated, with the result being 0 when the ball leaves the surface. It is then shown that the ball leaves the surface when cos(alpha)=10/17.
lowbattery
Hey there. I have a problem about rolling ball and it's from my homework.

1. Homework Statement

A ball rolls down the surface of a rough fixed sphere of radius r, starting rest at the top. What's its speed when the line between the two centres makes an angle alpha with the upward vertical? Also find the normal component of the reaction force on the ball at this time, and show that the ball leaves the surface when cos(alpha)=10/17.

2. Homework Equations

I=2/5ma^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

KE=mg(r+a)(1-cos(alpha))=7/10mu^2

so u=(10/7g(r+a)(1-cos(alpha))) ^1/2 this should be the answer to the first part of the question.

I don't quite have a clue to do the second part. How to find the normal component of the force?

It has been annoying me for days and thank anyone who helps me with it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right way - conservation of energy:

[tex]E_{potential}=E_{translation}+E_{rotation} \Rightarrow mg\Delta h = \frac{mv^{2}}{2}+\frac{I \omega^{2}}{2}, \Delta h = r(1-cos\alpha).[/tex]

My result differs a bit from yours. I don't have the a parameter. Everything else is the same.

Reaction force is the net force between one of the ball's weight component and the centrifugal force:

[tex]\vec{N}=\vec{G_{y}}+\vec{F_{cf}}, G_{y}=mgcos\alpha.[/tex]

Ball will leave the surface when reaction force becomes equal to 0:

[tex]N=mgcos\alpha-\frac{mv^{2}}{r}=0.[/tex]

If you plug the velocity derived from the conservation of energy here you will get that [itex]cos\alpha=\frac{10}{17}.[/itex]

Thanks a lot!

By the way, a is the radius of the rolling ball which I forgot to mention.

1. What is a rolling ball problem?

A rolling ball problem is a type of physics problem that involves determining the speed and normal force of a ball that is rolling on a surface. This type of problem typically involves using equations and principles from classical mechanics.

2. How do you solve a rolling ball problem?

To solve a rolling ball problem, you first need to identify the known variables, such as the mass and radius of the ball, and the angle of the incline or surface it is rolling on. Then, you can use equations such as Newton's Second Law and the Work-Energy Theorem to calculate the speed and normal force of the ball.

3. What is the speed of a rolling ball?

The speed of a rolling ball depends on several factors, including the angle of the incline or surface, the mass and radius of the ball, and any external forces acting on the ball. To determine the speed, you can use the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the incline or surface.

4. What is the normal force in a rolling ball problem?

The normal force in a rolling ball problem is the force that the surface exerts on the ball perpendicular to the surface. This force is necessary for the ball to maintain its circular motion and prevent it from falling through the surface. The normal force can be calculated using the equation FN = mgcosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the ball, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of rolling ball problems?

Rolling ball problems have many real-world applications, such as in designing roller coasters, analyzing the motion of objects on inclined planes, and understanding the physics of sports involving rolling objects like bowling and billiards. They also have practical applications in engineering and design, such as in calculating the force needed to move objects on wheels or designing vehicles with optimal rolling resistance.