Help, RLC Circuit Problem - Peak Current At Resonance

In summary, an RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. It can exhibit resonant behavior, where the circuit responds differently to different frequencies of input voltage. Resonance occurs when the inductive and capacitive reactance are equal, resulting in a purely resistive impedance and maximum current. Peak current at resonance can be calculated using Ohm's law, and to solve problems with it, one must use relevant formulas and potentially seek assistance.
qustudent88

Homework Statement

A 5 Micro-F Capacitor, a 65mH Inductor, and a 10 Ohm resistor are connected in series
Find the resonant frequency of this circuit.
Determine the peak current at resonance, if the peak voltage is 100V

Homework Equations

Fr = (1/2Pi) Square Root(1/LC)
I don't know the equation for Peak Current ... HELP!

The Attempt at a Solution

Resonant Frequency = 883 Hertz
Maximum Current = 10 Amps

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have calculated the peak current by doing:
[tex] I_{peak} = \frac{V_{peak}}{Z_{total}} [/tex]
Where Z_total is the total impedance of the circuit.

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help with your RLC circuit problem. It appears that you have already correctly calculated the resonant frequency of the circuit to be 883 Hertz using the formula Fr = (1/2Pi) Square Root(1/LC). This is the frequency at which the inductive and capacitive reactances cancel each other out, resulting in a peak in the current flow through the circuit.

To calculate the peak current at resonance, we can use the formula I = V/R, where V is the peak voltage and R is the resistance in the circuit. In this case, the peak voltage is given as 100V and the resistance is 10 Ohms, so the peak current would be 10 Amps.

I hope this helps you solve your homework problem. It's always a good idea to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Best of luck!

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), inductor (L), and capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. These components can create resonant behavior, where the circuit responds differently to different frequencies of input voltage.

2. What is resonance in an RLC circuit?

Resonance in an RLC circuit occurs when the inductive reactance (XL) and capacitive reactance (XC) are equal, resulting in the circuit's impedance being purely resistive. This means that at resonance, the circuit will have a maximum current and minimum impedance.

3. What is peak current at resonance?

Peak current at resonance is the maximum current that flows through an RLC circuit when it is operating at its resonant frequency. This occurs when the circuit's impedance is purely resistive, and the current is not limited by the reactance of the inductor or capacitor.

4. How do I calculate peak current at resonance?

The peak current at resonance can be calculated using the formula I = V/R, where V is the input voltage and R is the resistance of the circuit. This is because at resonance, the impedance is purely resistive, so the current is determined solely by Ohm's law.

5. How can I solve a problem with peak current at resonance in an RLC circuit?

To solve a problem with peak current at resonance in an RLC circuit, you will need to use the relevant formulas for calculating inductive and capacitive reactance, as well as Ohm's law. It may also be helpful to draw a phasor diagram to visualize the behavior of the circuit at different frequencies. If you are having trouble solving the problem, it is recommended to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.