Min. Tone Bar Size for Electromechanical Doorbell

• Thread starter dirzsignature
  • Start date
In summary, industrial design student is trying to design an electromechanical doorbell that will chime with a 50db sound. He needs to find out what sound the chime should produce and what type of package he needs to use to create the sound.
dirzsignature
Hi all,

I am an industrial design student and currently i am trying to design an electromechanical doorbell. After looking at the existing electromechanical doorbell, the chimes are all very big. I am just wondering what is the minimum size of the tone bar for it to be able to produce an audible sound?

Thanx for your help

regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you formed any opinion about why tone bars are the size they are? Have you researched sound wavelengths? And, have you looked at the differences in mounting between quarter-waves and half-waves? What would be the highest frequency sound you would want to use (note: look at samples of audiograms and then check out why foghorns have a low pitch)?

Hi tvp45,

thank you for the reply..

yea the sound i expect to be around 50db. I do not think making a doorbell chime at a size of 6 x 3 cm using tone bar will produce a sound that loud.

You're mixing up intensity and pitch (though, of course, they are somewhat linked in this case). What FEA packages do you use? That is probably the simplest way to design tone bars.

I am sorry, but what is FEA packages? :shy:

i am so lost in all these technical bits..
:(

FEA is Finite Element Analysis, is a program for your computer to analize how materials respond to their environment. (That is a very simple and limited answer)

From the questions youa re asking, I ask you:
What is sound? What is this entity that you detect in your ears and what are its two primary attributes?

The first follow up is: How do things make sound? Start with a speaker diaphram. How does it produce the sound that your hear? By writing out the answers to those questions (rather than just thinking about them), you will progress towards your goal.

It would help me if you say a little bit about your backgound and educational level. When I saw Industrial Design student, I sort of saw you as similar to those students here at CMU and answered at an appropriate level for them. I was obviously wrong, so help me out.

What is a Min. Tone Bar Size for Electromechanical Doorbell?

A Min. Tone Bar Size for Electromechanical Doorbell is the minimum length of the tone bar used in the doorbell mechanism to produce a desired sound.

Why is the Min. Tone Bar Size important for an Electromechanical Doorbell?

The Min. Tone Bar Size is important because it directly affects the sound quality of the doorbell. If the tone bar is too short, the sound produced will be weak and muffled. If it is too long, it may produce a harsh and unpleasant sound.

How is the Min. Tone Bar Size determined for an Electromechanical Doorbell?

The Min. Tone Bar Size is determined by the frequency of the sound desired and the material used for the tone bar. The longer the tone bar, the lower the frequency and the shorter the tone bar, the higher the frequency. The material of the tone bar also affects the sound quality and tone.

Can the Min. Tone Bar Size be adjusted for an existing Electromechanical Doorbell?

Yes, the Min. Tone Bar Size can be adjusted for an existing doorbell by replacing the tone bar with a longer or shorter one. However, it is important to choose the right size and material to achieve the desired sound quality.

Are there any safety concerns associated with changing the Min. Tone Bar Size for an Electromechanical Doorbell?

No, there are no safety concerns associated with changing the Min. Tone Bar Size for an Electromechanical Doorbell. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and turn off the power before making any changes to the doorbell mechanism.