Why is there a minus sign in the fermionic gas entropy equation?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy Gas
In summary, the problem is to show that for a fermionic gas, the entropy is given by the expression \sigma=-\int d\epsilon D(\epsilon )[f(\epsilon )log(f(\epsilon )-(1-f(\epsilon )log(1-f(\epsilon )], where D(epsilon) is the density of states as a function of energy and f(epsilon) is the fermi-dirac distribution function. This can be derived by calculating the entropy in the grand canonical ensemble using the relation \sigma = -\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{F}}{\partial \tau}\right)_{V,\mu}, where \tau is the temperature and \mathcal{F} is the grand free energy.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
The problem is to show that for a fermionic gas the entropy is given by:
[tex]\sigma=-\int d\epsilon D(\epsilon )[f(\epsilon )log(f(\epsilon )-(1-f(\epsilon )log(1-f(\epsilon )][/tex] where D(epsilon) is the derivative operator wrt epsilon, and f(epsilon) is fermi-dirac distribution function.

Now what I think is that I only need to show that the entropy equals minus the integrand, but I'm not sure where did the minus come from.

I mean the entropy is defined as logarithm of the number of possible states, the function that counts this number is: (f^f)*((1-f)^(1-f))
cause f counts the number of possible states there are below the chemical potential and 1-f above it, and we take a power of themselves because there sum equals the number of states of the system.

but I don't where did the minus sign come from, can you help me on this?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]D(\varepsilon)[/itex] is not an energy derivative, it is the single-particle density of states as a function of energy.

To derive that expression, you need to calculate the entropy in the grand canonical ensemble, using the relation

[tex]\sigma = -\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{F}}{\partial \tau}\right)_{V,\mu}[/tex]

where [itex]\tau = k_BT[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] is the grand free energy. If this is the way you did the problem I would guess you just forgot the minus sign in this relation.

I don't understand, what is D(epsilon)?

so because: [tex]-\tau *log(Z_G)=F[/tex]
I only need to find what is Z_G but it equals:
[tex]Z_G=1+exp(\beta *(\mu -\epsilon))[/tex]
but still what is D(epsilon).
you mean D is the function that counts the number of posiible states, if so then by definition the entropy equals log of this.

The density of states is precisely what it sounds like: if you plotted the number of particles, [itex]n(\varepsilon)[/itex], in a given state as a function of energy, the density is the number of particles per energy [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]. That is, [itex]d n(\varepsilon)/d\varepsilon = D(\varepsilon)[/itex]. Equivalently,
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}d\varepsilon~D(\varepsilon) = N[/tex]

where N is the number of particles in the system. You need this density when approximating sums by integrals. If you're summing over a discrete index, say n for example, then

[tex]\sum_{n} \rightarrow \int dn[/tex]
when approximating the sum by an integral. In this case, [itex]D(n) = 1[/itex]. However, if you wanted to write that integral as a function of energy instead, then because the states aren't typically equally spaced as a function of energy (and if they were it wouldn't be by "1" -> you need some dimensionful constant), you need the density of states:

[tex]\sum_{n} \rightarrow \int d\varepsilon~D(\varepsilon)[/tex]

Now, as for determining the energy, you're almost right about the grand partition function. However, what you've written is the single particle partition function. If you have N particles, then your total grand partition function is going to be the product of the N single particle partition functions, each of which will have a different energy [itex]\varepsilon_n[/itex]:

[tex]Z_N = \prod_{n}Z(\varepsilon_n) = \prod_n(1 + e^{-\beta(\varepsilon_n - \mu)})[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]\sigma = -\left(\frac{\partial \mathcal{F}}{\partial \tau}\right)_{V,\mu} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial \tau} \left(\tau \ln Z_N\right) = -\sum_n \frac{\partial}{\partial \tau} \tau \ln \left(1 + \exp\left[-\beta(\varepsilon_n - \mu\right)\right][/tex]

In converting that sum to an integral over energy, you introduce the density of states. Some playing around with the summand/integrand of the entropy expression will yield the expression you have in your first post.

Last edited:
thanks.

wow, thanks for that, Mute! i'd always wondered why you needed to multiply the integrand by the density of states. fantastic explanation!

1. What is the definition of entropy in a fermionic gas?

The entropy of a fermionic gas is a measure of the disorder or randomness in the system. It is defined as the natural logarithm of the number of possible microstates that the system can occupy. In other words, it is a measure of the number of ways in which the particles in the gas can be arranged.

2. How does the entropy of a fermionic gas differ from a bosonic gas?

The entropy of a fermionic gas is different from a bosonic gas because fermions obey the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state. This leads to a restriction on the number of possible microstates for a fermionic gas compared to a bosonic gas, resulting in a lower entropy for fermions.

3. Can the entropy of a fermionic gas ever be negative?

No, the entropy of a fermionic gas cannot be negative. According to the third law of thermodynamics, the entropy of a system at absolute zero temperature is zero. Since a fermionic gas can never reach absolute zero temperature, its entropy can never be negative.

4. How does temperature affect the entropy of a fermionic gas?

As temperature increases, the entropy of a fermionic gas also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, there are more available energy states for the particles to occupy, leading to a higher number of possible microstates and thus a higher entropy.

5. What is the significance of the entropy of a fermionic gas in thermodynamics?

The entropy of a fermionic gas plays a crucial role in the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of an isolated system can never decrease over time. This concept is important in understanding the direction of natural processes and the concept of irreversibility in thermodynamics.