Tube Strength charactoristics

In summary, the question is how to calculate the load bearing strength difference between a hollow tube and a tube with an X-section, specifically for designing a space frame chassis for a vehicle. The answer involves calculating the sectional modulus for both cross sections and considering stress concentration at sharp corners in the transverse cross-section.
pharllap
How would i work out the load baring strength difference between a hollow tube and a tube, with a x section throughout the length?(as per thread bellow)

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn463/pharllap/endview.jpg

I love designing things and in this case I'm asking in respect to space frame chassis for vehicle.

Strength is broad question and thinking compression strength form the end be similar to hollow, however load baring strength along the length I'm thinking should be a substantial difference..
Any help greatly appreciated

Regards Phil(Perth, OZ)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
by calculating the sectional modulus for both cross sections
σ = M/Z
σ = stress induced
M = Moment applied
Z = section modulus

pharllap said:
How would i work out the load baring strength difference between a hollow tube and a tube, with a x section throughout the length?(as per thread bellow)

http://i323.photobucket.com/albums/nn463/pharllap/endview.jpg

I love designing things and in this case I'm asking in respect to space frame chassis for vehicle.

Strength is broad question and thinking compression strength form the end be similar to hollow, however load baring strength along the length I'm thinking should be a substantial difference..
Any help greatly appreciated

Regards Phil(Perth, OZ)

what you want to ask is how the stress varies along the axis of the vessel. I think the weakest part will occur where you have the smallest X-section, like in the hollow part. However, stress concentration at sharp corners in the transverse cross-section may also exist.

1. What is tube strength?

Tube strength refers to the ability of a tube to withstand external forces without breaking or deforming. It is an important characteristic in various industries, such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing.

2. How is tube strength measured?

Tube strength is typically measured using two methods: tensile strength and yield strength. Tensile strength is the maximum stress a tube can withstand before breaking, while yield strength is the stress at which a tube begins to deform permanently.

3. What factors affect tube strength?

The strength of a tube is influenced by various factors, including the material used, the manufacturing process, and the design of the tube. The composition and thickness of the material, as well as any internal defects or flaws, can also impact the strength of a tube.

4. How can tube strength be improved?

The strength of a tube can be improved through different methods, such as using a stronger material, altering the manufacturing process, or changing the design to distribute stress more evenly. Additionally, techniques such as heat treatment or coating can also enhance tube strength.

5. Why is understanding tube strength important?

Tube strength is crucial in ensuring the safety and reliability of structures and products that use tubes. It also plays a significant role in determining the suitability and durability of a tube for a specific application. Understanding tube strength allows for informed decision-making and can prevent potential failures or accidents.