Water Flow Rate From A Tap Attached 2 A Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the flow rate and distance of water from a tap at the bottom of a 400 liter cylindrical tank. The flow rate can be found using Bernoulli's equation and the continuity equation, while the distance can be determined by considering factors such as pressure, height, area, and fluid density.
TIPSY
Hi guys. Can u pls hlp me out.

Let's say I have a 400 liter cylindrical tank with a tap at the botom.

how do I calculate the rate at which the water flows from the tap and how far the water mite go?

thanx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
TIPSY said:
Hi guys. Can u pls hlp me out.

Let's say I have a 400 liter cylindrical tank with a tap at the botom.

how do I calculate the rate at which the water flows from the tap and how far the water mite go?

thanx in advance

The flow rate at the outlet can be found using Bernoulli's equation along with the continuity equation.

[tex]v_2 = \sqrt{{\frac{2}{1- \left( \frac{A_2}{A_1}\right)^2}} \cdot \left(\frac{P_1 - P_2}{\rho} + g \cdot h \right) [/tex]

CS

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you need to multiply v2 by the cross-sectional area to get the flow rate (v2 is just the velocity).

Last edited:
OK. I think I know what g and h are (gravity and height) but the rest I am clueless so ifyou could just explain further it would be appreciated.

thanks stewartcs.

TIPSY said:
OK. I think I know what g and h are (gravity and height) but the rest I am clueless so ifyou could just explain further it would be appreciated.

thanks stewartcs.

P1 is the pressure at the top of the tank.
P2 is the pressure at the bottom of the tank.

If the tank is open to atmosphere and discharges to atmosphere the equation will obviously reduce. If not, use P1 and P2 as applicable.

h is the height from the top of the fluid in the tank to the centerline of the orifice.

A1 is the area of the tank.
A2 is the area of the orifice (outlet).

g is gravitational acceleration.

[tex] \rho [/tex] is the fluid's density.

CS

1. What is water flow rate?

Water flow rate is the measure of the volume of water that flows through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is usually measured in gallons per minute (gpm) or liters per minute (lpm).

2. How is water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank determined?

Water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank is determined by measuring the amount of water that flows through the tap in a specific amount of time. This can be done using a flow meter or by manually timing the water flow and measuring the volume of water collected.

3. What factors affect water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank?

The main factors that affect water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank include the size and type of the tap, the size and pressure of the water tank, and any obstructions or restrictions in the water flow such as clogs or narrow pipes.

4. How does the water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank impact water usage?

The water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank can impact water usage by determining how quickly water is dispensed from the tap. A higher flow rate can result in more water being used in a shorter amount of time, while a lower flow rate can help conserve water.

5. Can the water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank be adjusted?

Yes, the water flow rate from a tap attached to a tank can be adjusted by changing the size of the tap, adjusting the pressure of the water tank, or removing any obstructions in the water flow. It is important to note that altering the flow rate may also impact the overall water pressure in the system.