Solve simple logarithmic question

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in simplifying an equation with multiple terms on the left side, particularly when dealing with logarithms. The possibility of finding an algebraic solution is mentioned, but it is noted that it may not be possible in all cases.
preet

Homework Statement

Ae^dt + Be^ft + Ce^gt + De^ht + ... = Y

Where A-Y and d,f,g,h, etc are constants.

Homework Equations

Logarithmic identities... ( log(AB) = log(A) + log(B), log(A^x) = x log A, etc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I could do this if there was only one term on the left side of the equation. I don't know how to simplify the left hand terms... ie. to solve I would have taken ln( left hand side ) = ln (Y) but I don't know how to deal with the multiple terms on the left side... specifically I don't know what to do with ln ( Ae^at + Be^bt + Ce^ct) and so on.

Thanks,

-Preetj

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no way to simplify

[tex]
\ln \left(A e^{at} + Be^{bt} + \dots + \right)
[/tex]

It is impossible to simplify the logarithm of a sum.

What reason do you have to think that there is an exact algebraic solution to this equation? IF d, f, g, h are integers, then you could write this as a polynomial equation for et, try to solve for et, and then take the logarithm.

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the exponent or power to which a base number must be raised to produce a given number.

2. How do I solve a simple logarithmic equation?

To solve a simple logarithmic equation, you can use the property of logarithms which states that if logb(x) = y, then by = x. This means that you can rewrite the logarithmic equation as an exponential equation and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the difference between a natural logarithm and a common logarithm?

A natural logarithm uses a base of e, which is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828. A common logarithm uses a base of 10. This means that a natural logarithm will give you the power to which e must be raised to produce a given number, while a common logarithm will give you the power to which 10 must be raised to produce a given number.

4. Can logarithms be negative?

No, logarithms cannot be negative. The input of a logarithmic function must be a positive number, and the output (or result) will always be a real number. If the input is negative, the logarithm is undefined.

5. How can I use logarithms in real life?

Logarithms are commonly used in finance, science, and engineering to express large or small numbers in a more manageable form. They are also useful in solving exponential growth and decay problems. For example, logarithms can be used to calculate the pH of a solution or the decibel level of a sound.