Why do objects follow curved paths in spacetime without the presence of gravity?

• Thread starter Landru
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, according to the dialogue, gravitational pull is an "acceleration" rather than linear because the strength of the force is not constant over a short distance, and the special theory of relativity doesn't explain why gravity is a "force" (in the sense that it accelerates objects like ordinary "force" does).
Landru
Why is gravitational pull an "acceleration" rather than linear?

In other words, why is it that gravity turns out to be " distance = gravity*time2 " rather than simply " distance = gravity*time " ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Landru said:

In other words, why is it that gravity turns out to be " distance = gravity*time2 " rather than simply " distance = gravity*time " ?

Newton's 2nd law: F=ma (Determines acceleration of m)
Newton's gravity law: F=GMm/r2 (Determines force between M and m).

Together:
ma=GMm/r2
a=GM/r2

Gravity is dependent on the distance r between two masses. The strength of gravity is approximately constant over a short distance, say near the surface of the earth, and we call "GM/(radius of earth)2" the acceleration due to gravity.

Landru said:

The question really doesn't make any sense as posed. "acceleration" and "linear" are not similar things for gravity to be one or the other of. "Linear" just describes the shape of a function. In fact, you can build plenty of functions where something about gravity is expressed linearly, such as acceleration or force vs time.

Second, the word "gravity" in "distance= gravity*time" does not fit. Gravity is a type of force or acceleration.

Why does space-time force things together?

Figure that one out and you'll be looking at a nobel prize.

I though special theory of relativity explained why gravity is a "force" (in the sense that it accelerates objects like ordinary "force" does) but I simply haven't come across the explanation yet.

I am puting effort into understanding these things, but I'm still early on in higher math and I'd just like a sneak peak for a taste of what's to come.

Landru said:
I though special theory of relativity explained why gravity is a "force" (in the sense that it accelerates objects like ordinary "force" does) but I simply haven't come across the explanation yet.

No, the special theory of relativity doesn't say anything at all about gravity. In fact, the reason why it's "special" is because it is only valid in the special case where gravity is not present. Special relativity only deals with inertial reference frames. If you are accelerating, then you are NOT in an inertial reference frame.

Einstein's General Theory of Relativity applies (as the name suggests) generally. It explains gravity as arising due to curvatures in spacetime itself. (Curvatures which are created by the presence of bodies with mass).

Einstein's General Relativity describes the force of gravity and says the cause is curved spacetime. I don't know, but to me this isn't a very deep understanding of the problem. The question is shifted to why does mass curve spacetime.

As to why things do not follow straight paths in curved space I've always wondered. Intuition in earthly observations (rubber sheet etc.) shows that things will curve, but this is due to gravity. In a system devoid of gravity is the same behavior experienced? Because surely there is no gravity to cause objects moving in 4-D spacetime to sink to lower energy states.

1. How does gravity affect the movement of objects?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. This force is what makes objects fall towards the ground and keeps the planets in orbit around the sun. The strength of gravity depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

2. Can gravity be turned off or reversed?

No, gravity is a fundamental force of the universe and cannot be turned off or reversed. However, the effects of gravity can be cancelled out or reduced by other forces, such as the force of air resistance or the force of a rocket engine.

3. How does gravity work in space?

In space, gravity still exists and is the force that keeps planets and other objects in orbit around each other. However, in the absence of air resistance, objects will continue to move in a straight line unless acted upon by another force, such as gravity.

4. Can gravity affect light?

Yes, gravity can affect light. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity can bend the path of light, causing it to appear to be affected by the gravitational pull of massive objects.

5. Is gravity the same everywhere on Earth?

No, the strength of gravity can vary slightly depending on location on Earth. This is due to variations in the mass distribution of the planet. For example, gravity is slightly stronger at the poles compared to the equator.