Particle Position: Understanding its Significance and Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods to solve a problem involving finding the velocity of an object. These methods include graphing, taking the derivative and graphing it, and solving mathematically. The person suggests using calculus or graphing to find the solution. However, the original question was deleted, so no further help can be provided.
ch2kb0x
i got the answer. thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Theres a few ways to solve it.
You could graph it (like you were thinking). Because the velocity (change in position with time) should be 0 then just look for wherever the slope is equal to 0. There should be 2 times when this happens.

OR, you could take the derivative of that equation and graph that, then it's velocity is 0 simply wherever the graph is equal to 0. (still 2 spots)

OR you could just do it mathematically, which would be the second method above, but instead of graphing, just set it to 0 and solve for t. I think you'll need the quadratic equation if you do it this way.

Perillux said:
... OR you could just do it mathematically, which would be the second method above, but instead of graphing, just set it to 0 and solve for t. I think you'll need the quadratic equation if you do it this way.

If ch2kb0x has had some calculus, that is the way to go. The Quadratic Formula won't be necessary for this problem.

Without calculus, graphing is the way to go.

I took the derivative and graphed it. I got t=0 and t=13 when the curve hits 0 on the "t-axis", but that seems to be the incorrect answer. any help?

You deleted the question, so how can we help you? Please don't delete whole posts like that after people have already responded to it.

What is the position of a particle?

The position of a particle refers to its location in space at a specific point in time.

How is the position of a particle measured?

The position of a particle can be measured using a coordinate system, such as Cartesian coordinates, where the particle's position is described using numerical values along each axis.

What factors can affect the position of a particle?

The position of a particle can be affected by various factors such as velocity, acceleration, and external forces.

How is the position of a particle related to its velocity?

The position of a particle is directly related to its velocity, as velocity is the rate of change of position over time. A particle with a constant velocity will have a constant change in position over time.

Why is the position of a particle important in physics?

The position of a particle is important in physics as it is a fundamental concept used to describe the motion of objects and understand the behavior of systems in the physical world.