Radius of curvature experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the radius of curvature for a +0.25D lens using Newton's rings. The participant has obtained a value of 892mm, which is significantly lower than the expected value of just over 2 metres. They are unsure if the value needs to be doubled to account for the two surfaces of the lens. The conversation also includes a discussion about the equation used for the calculation, with one equation being provided by the experiment and another found on Wikipedia. The participant also asks for clarification on the terms and units used in the equation and how the fringe diameter was measured. The conversation ends with a suggestion to solve the Wikipedia equation for "R", which would result in the same equation used in the experiment.
lynsey
Hi there

In an experiment I have calculated the radius of curvature for a +0.25D lens using Newtons rings and have obtained a value for 892mm, but the radius of curvature for a +0.25D lens is just over 2 metres. why is the value i got so much lower? do i have to double the value i got for the radius to take into account the 2 surfaces of the lens or not? please help I am really stuck!

thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the equations you used, and how you calculated your answer?

the equation we were given to use was

r = d(squared) / 4.N.wavelength

the wavelength was 0.000588m
the value for d(squared) was 1.955

My actual value was 831mm (sorry wrote the wrong figure down before)

although i think there may be a problem with the equation we were given to use as I have found another one:

The radius of the Nth Newton's bright ring is given by :

rn = [(N-1/2). wavelength. R]1/2

hope that makes sense to you:s its the one from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtons_rings

i measured the dark rings...so you can ignore the -1/2 and just use N

this seems to give me a figure of 3000 odd, which gives a power of 0.15D, which when doubled then gives 0.30D...i know it is 0.05D out but this may be due to experimental error?

how does that sound or is the equation we were given to use the correct one?

thanks for any help you can give me! :)

By the way, welcome to PF. :smile:

lynsey said:
the equation we were given to use was

r = d(squared) / 4.N.wavelength

That's right, since this is for dark fringes. Do you know what each term in that equation is? Since there are 2 different radii or diameters represented here, it is important to keep track of which is which. I.e., r is not simply "the radius", it is "the radius of ____?".

And similarly for "d".

the wavelength was 0.000588m
the value for d(squared) was 1.955

Let me suggest here that you get in the habit of being careful about writing units correctly. It appears that you are using mm for length units. Do you see what is wrong with BOTH of the values you have written above? (Hint: it has something to do with units.)

My actual value was 831mm (sorry wrote the wrong figure down before)
Looks correct given your values, assuming that N=1 (is it?)

Here is a question for you: how are you measuring the fringe diameter? It must be about 1.4 mm, to get the d2=1.955mm2 value you reported. It is difficult to measure it that accurately without some kind of precision instrument.

although i think there may be a problem with the equation we were given to use as I have found another one:

The radius of the Nth Newton's bright ring is given by :

rn = [(N-1/2). wavelength. R]1/2

hope that makes sense to you:s its the one from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtons_rings

i measured the dark rings...so you can ignore the -1/2 and just use N

I agree, ignore the "-1/2" for the dark rings. Then you get

rN = [N . wavelength . R]1/2

If you solve this equation for "R", you get essentially the same equation you had earlier.

Basically, I've given you a list of things to think about more:

• Define the terms in your first equation (see above).
  • What are the values for wavelength and d2, with correct units?
  • Is N equal to 1?
  • How was the fringe diameter measured?
  • Solve the Wikipedia equation in terms of "R". Ignore the "-1/2", but do not ignore the "1/2" exponent. You should get your original equation, or something equivalent.

p.s. feel free to use ^2 or ^(1/2) for writing exponents in equations.

What is a radius of curvature experiment?

A radius of curvature experiment is an experiment that measures the curvature of a surface or object. It involves determining the radius of a circle that best fits the curve of the surface or object.

What are the applications of a radius of curvature experiment?

A radius of curvature experiment is commonly used in fields such as optics, mechanical engineering, and material science to measure the shape and curvature of surfaces and objects. It is also used in the manufacturing and testing of lenses, mirrors, and other curved surfaces.

What equipment is needed for a radius of curvature experiment?

The equipment needed for a radius of curvature experiment may vary depending on the specific experiment, but some common equipment includes a light source, a lens or mirror, a ruler or caliper for measuring distances, and a protractor for measuring angles.

What is the procedure for a radius of curvature experiment?

The procedure for a radius of curvature experiment may also vary, but generally involves placing the object or surface on a flat surface, shining a light source at a specific angle onto the surface, and measuring the distance and angle of the reflected light. This data can then be used to calculate the radius of curvature using mathematical formulas.

What are the sources of error in a radius of curvature experiment?

Some sources of error in a radius of curvature experiment may include imperfections in the surface or object being measured, inaccuracies in the equipment used, and human error in taking measurements and calculations. It is important to carefully control and minimize these sources of error in order to obtain accurate results.