How to find the most far and most close ( points on curve ) to another point ?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the most far and most close points on a curve C, with respect to (0,0,0) and (x_1,y_1,z_1) respectively. The curve is formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone, and the goal is to find a function that depends on the distance between these points and any point on C. The solution involves rearranging and squaring the given equations to find the intersection points on the curve.
AbuYusufEg
how to find the "most far and most close" ( points on curve ) to another point ?

i'm studying a chapter on how to find maxima and minima values of a function using partial derivatives.

one of the problems is the following:
"if plane [itex]z=x+y+1[/itex] intersects cone [itex]z^2=x^2+y^2[/itex]
let the curve that result from intersection, is C
What is the most far and most close points on C, with respect to (0,0,0) ? and also with respect to [itex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/itex]"

i think that that curve would be something like a circle, and that there would be some function that depends on the length between "(0,0,0) or [itex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/itex]", and "any point on C".

But what is that function ?
And how to work out that problem ?

* I've exam in that chapter after about 10 hours, so please try to answer me with detailed answer as I've no time for discussions for now, may be i do that later.

Physics news on Phys.org
AbuYusufEg said:
"if plane [itex]z=x+y+1[/itex] intersects cone [itex]z^2=x^2+y^2[/itex]
let the curve that result from intersection, is C
What is the most far and most close points on C, with respect to (0,0,0) ? and also with respect to [itex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/itex]"

Hi AbuYusufEg! :smile:

Hint: the distance2 from (0,0,0) to (x,y,z) is x2 + y2 + z2

and to help find the intersection, I suggest you rearrange z = x + y + 1 and then square it. :wink:

yes i got that, but i want the points that ONLY on the curve C, i think that (x,y,z) is any point.
So, How can i get the points that only on the curve C ?

AbuYusufEg said:
yes i got that, but i want the points that ONLY on the curve C, i think that (x,y,z) is any point.
So, How can i get the points that only on the curve C ?

Rearrange z = x + y + 1 and then square it, and compare with z2 = x2 + y2 :smile:

1. How do you determine the most far point on a curve to another point?

To find the most far point on a curve to another point, you can use a mathematical approach called optimization. This involves finding the maximum distance between the two points by taking the derivative of the distance function and setting it equal to zero.

2. Can you explain the concept of closest and farthest points on a curve?

The closest and farthest points on a curve refer to the points that are nearest and farthest from a given point, respectively. These points can be found by calculating the distance between the given point and each point on the curve and then determining which points have the minimum and maximum distances.

3. Is there a specific formula for finding the closest and farthest points on a curve?

Yes, the formula for finding the closest and farthest points on a curve is the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between the coordinates of the two points.

4. Can the closest and farthest points on a curve be found using only visual methods?

No, in most cases, visual methods alone cannot accurately find the closest and farthest points on a curve. Mathematical calculations are needed to determine the exact coordinates of these points.

5. Are there any software programs that can help with finding the closest and farthest points on a curve?

Yes, there are many mathematical software programs that can assist with finding the closest and farthest points on a curve. These programs use various algorithms and optimization techniques to accurately determine these points.