How can the titration curve be used to determine the strength of an acid?

• Thread starter Physics197
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Weak
In summary, to determine if an acid is strong or weak based on its titration curve, one can look for two main indications. The first is that it is being titrated by a strong base and the equivalence point occurs above a pH of 7. The second is that the pH change during titration is relatively small over a longer range of titrant addition until close to the equivalence point. Additionally, one can compare the concentration of H+ ions at the equivalence point to the concentration of the acid itself, and if they are different, this can indicate that the acid is weak. Other factors that can suggest a weak acid include the lack of availability in pure, dry form and the absence of pH buffering during titration.
Physics197

Homework Statement

How can you determine if an acid is strong or weak given the titration curve? I need two reasons.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1 Reason that it is weak is that its being titrated by a strong base and the equivalence point is above pH of 7.

Need a 2nd

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take two titration curves and compare them.

You may try (there is a free trial).

Not sure what the acid is, but through a tritaion calculation I found the concentration of the acid to be 0.2083M.

That may not be correct..

Heres the data:
NaOH: 0.125M
25mL
acid: 15mL
unknown concentration

But it is a monoprotic acid

Depending on concentrations used, pH will change at a very high rate through pH 7 through the equivalence point. A weak acid will further show fairly small change in pH as the titrant is added over a "long" range of titrant addition until close to the equivalence point. Equivalence point should happen at about pH 8 or greater for a weak acid.

Yes, it happens at pH = 8.7

It just occurred to me that weak acids do not 100% dissociate

So could I use the pH of 8.7 to determine the concentration of H+ and compare that number to the concentration of the acid, and if they are different, that means it wasnt 100% dissociated?

HX ---------> H+ + X-
0.2M -------> 2x10^-9M

[H+] = 10^-pH = 2x10^-9

At equivalence point there is (almost) no acid, there is (almost) only its salt.

Well what's another way I could show that this acid is weak?

Physics197 said:
Well what's another way I could show that this acid is weak?

You just did, according to some of your description in post #5.

Was the original acid available in relatively pure, dry form? Even a pH measurement before titrating might not be strong enough information compared to performing a titration. As long as you can refer to your titration curve, you can easily enough judge whether the acid is weak or strong. Note, that a strong acid will not present pH buffering as you begin and continue to approach the endpoint with titrant additions; and the equivalence point pH should be sudden and extremely close to 7.

1. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid is a type of acid that completely dissociates in water, meaning that all of its molecules are broken apart into ions. This results in a high concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. On the other hand, a weak acid only partially dissociates in water, resulting in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions.

2. How can I determine if an acid is strong or weak?

The strength of an acid can be determined by its dissociation constant (Ka) which is a measure of how easily the acid dissociates in water. A higher Ka value indicates a stronger acid, while a lower Ka value indicates a weaker acid.

3. What are some examples of strong acids?

Some common examples of strong acids include hydrochloric acid (HCl), sulfuric acid (H2SO4), and nitric acid (HNO3). These acids have high Ka values and dissociate completely in water.

4. Do strong acids have a higher or lower pH than weak acids?

Strong acids have a lower pH than weak acids because they have a higher concentration of hydrogen ions in solution. A lower pH indicates a higher concentration of hydrogen ions, making the solution more acidic.

5. How do strong and weak acids affect the environment?

Strong acids can have a more significant impact on the environment as they can cause more damage to living organisms and ecosystems. Weak acids, on the other hand, are less harmful and can often be found in natural substances such as fruits and vegetables.