Of the nobile gasses, which has the greatest propensity to ionize?

• Thread starter wwtog
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a metallic room and plates with high voltage, and the use of a bubble blower to create bubbles that may or may not accelerate upward. It also mentions the propensity of noble gases to ionize and the Q of an R-C parallel circuit. The bonus question asks about the fate of an ionized gas when dissolved in water. The conversation also includes criticism of engineers and their jobs potentially being replaced by machines or monkeys.
wwtog
(1) If I set an experiment, in a room with a metallic floor, and a metaillic ceiling. the two plates have 20,000V of dc voltage impressed across the plates. I walk in, wet footed, with the bubble master's favorite limon joy and water concentrate. I am in no danger as I am well below the breakdown field strength of air, and leave the aluminum step ladder outside.

I blow a bubble, with my metallic bubble blower, several, maybe 100. How many accellerate upward, some, many, none?

(2) Of the nobile gasses, which has the greatest propensity to ionize.

(3) what is the Q of an R-C parallel circuit. (I knoe the answer(s?) do you?)

and (4), the bonus question, if an ionized gas, dissolves into water, what becomes of the charge?, did it heat the water??

Engineering news on Phys.org
special effects, dancing bubbles, holographic disapearing talking heads. dig into your pockets and pay for someones elses imagination, (you definitely need it!) I guess this is a sophamore hang-out, I'm outta here, and taken my patent's with me! Good luck turning the same crank for the next 50 years, That is, if your job is not replaced with, a machine, or monkey, no matter, they cost about the same.

hasta la vista (baby engineers)

(1) The noble gas with the greatest propensity to ionize would be helium. It has the lowest ionization energy of all the noble gases, meaning it requires the least amount of energy to remove an electron from an atom. This makes it more likely to become ionized in the presence of a strong electric field.

In the scenario described, the bubbles blown by the metallic bubble blower would not accelerate upwards due to the high voltage between the metallic plates. The water and soap in the bubbles are not conductive enough to allow for significant ionization and movement of charges.

(2) Of the noble gases, helium has the greatest propensity to ionize due to its low ionization energy.

(3) The Q of an R-C parallel circuit is the ratio of reactance (X) to resistance (R). It can be calculated using the formula Q = X/R. The higher the Q value, the more efficient the circuit is at storing and transferring energy.

(4) If an ionized gas dissolves into water, the charge will be distributed among the water molecules. The water molecules will become polarized, with the positively charged ions attracted to the negatively charged oxygen atoms and the negatively charged ions attracted to the positively charged hydrogen atoms. This process does generate heat, as the polarized molecules will experience collisions and friction as they line up with the electric field. However, the amount of heat generated would be very small and likely not noticeable.

1. What are noble gases?

Noble gases are a group of chemical elements that are known for their low reactivity and stability. The group includes helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon.

2. What is ionization?

Ionization is the process of adding or removing electrons from an atom or molecule, resulting in the formation of an ion. This can be achieved through various methods such as heat, light, or electrical energy.

3. Why are noble gases considered to have low propensity to ionize?

Noble gases have a full outer shell of electrons, making them stable and unreactive. This makes it difficult for them to gain or lose electrons, resulting in a low propensity to ionize.

4. Which noble gas has the greatest propensity to ionize?

Out of all the noble gases, radon has the greatest propensity to ionize. This is because it has the highest atomic number and the most loosely bound outer electrons, making it easier for them to be removed.

5. Can noble gases be ionized under certain conditions?

Yes, under extreme conditions such as high temperatures or strong electric fields, noble gases can be ionized. However, this is not a common occurrence and they are still considered to have a low propensity to ionize compared to other elements.

Back