What kind of scientific calculator should I buy?

In summary: Any scientific calculator will suffice for your needs, as you will mainly be using trig, roots, and ln() even in graduate school. For more complex functions, you can always use a computer. However, if you want a specific recommendation, the HP50 is slightly more efficient than the Texas Ti89, but the Ti89 is better at drawing graph functions. Ultimately, either calculator will work well for your needs.
danielandpenn
Hi. I was wondering if anyone would share with me some insight about what calculator I should purchase? I'm a returning student in the fall, majoring in physics with engineering option. It's been so long since I've been in school though that I may end up having to take a trig/algebra II class and pre-calculus before even getting to calculus. So, I may need something for trig/alg, pre-calc, calc, physics and engineering. Thanks for your advice.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Three answers:
1, Any scientific calculator will do, you only need trig, roots and ln() even for grad school - anything else use a computer
2, Get an HP50 cos a Texas Ti89 is 0.1% less efficient at some function you have never heard of
3, Get an Texas Ti89 cos a HP50 is 0.1% slower at drawing graph function you will never use.

mgb_phys said:
Three answers:
1, Any scientific calculator will do, you only need trig, roots and ln() even for grad school - anything else use a computer
2, Get an HP50 cos a Texas Ti89 is 0.1% less efficient at some function you have never heard of
3, Get an Texas Ti89 cos a HP50 is 0.1% slower at drawing graph function you will never use.

Pretty much spot on.

1. What are the essential features to look for in a scientific calculator?

The essential features to look for in a scientific calculator include a wide range of mathematical functions such as trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions, a large display screen, a durable and ergonomic design, and the ability to perform complex calculations and store variables.

2. What is the difference between a scientific calculator and a graphing calculator?

The main difference between a scientific calculator and a graphing calculator is that a graphing calculator has the ability to plot graphs and perform advanced statistical and calculus functions. Scientific calculators, on the other hand, are designed for basic scientific and mathematical calculations.

3. Is it necessary to buy a calculator from a well-known brand?

While it is not necessary to buy a calculator from a well-known brand, it is recommended to do so as they often have a reputation for producing high-quality and reliable calculators. Additionally, well-known brands usually offer better customer support and warranty options.

4. What is the ideal size for a scientific calculator?

The ideal size for a scientific calculator depends on personal preference. Some people prefer compact calculators that are easy to carry around, while others prefer larger calculators with bigger buttons and a larger display screen. It is important to consider the size and weight of the calculator if you plan on using it for exams or on-the-go calculations.

5. Are there any additional features that I should consider when buying a scientific calculator?

Some additional features to consider when buying a scientific calculator include solar power or battery backup, the ability to connect to a computer or other devices, and the option to customize settings and functions. It is also important to consider the price and overall value for the features included in the calculator.