Resistor Concept: Series & Parallel Circuits

In summary, a resistor is a device that reduces current by reducing the voltage across it. In a series circuit, there is a voltage drop across each resistor but the same current flows through each resistor. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same but the current may differ depending on the resistance of each side. The equation V=IR applies to the entire circuit, but when applied to a single resistor, the current is constant and the voltage changes indirectly with resistance. The purpose of a voltmeter is to measure the voltage drop across a resistor. The resistor can also be used to generate heat.
IvaNMK
~~Resistor Concept~~

Hi. I am having trouble with understanding the resistor. What does a resistor do in SERIES or in PARALLEL circuit?

My understanding: ( please correct me if i am wrong!)

In series circuit, Resistor is a device that reduce the current in the circuit. And according to ohm's law, V = IR, when the current is reduced, the voltage will also be reduced. So I think resistor will reduce BOTH voltage and current. And if the voltage doesn't change, then what is the point of connect a voltmeter across a resistor, Right? So I think BOTH voltage and current are reduced by a resistor.

Here comes another problem. If a resistor in series would reduce current and/or voltage, will the current BEFORE passing thru the resistor be larger than the current AFTER passing thru the resistor ? Or the current will only change at the point where the resistor is put?

Example:

Compare

How will the brightness of 2 lightbulb change if i put a resistor bewteen 2 identical lightbulbs?
How will the brightness of 2 lightbulb change if i put a resistor NEXT TO 2 identical lightbulbs? ( NOT BEWTEEN )

Thx for helping

P.S. Lightbulb similar to this one below.

Breaking%2520the%2520lightbulb%2520Movie.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

IvaNMK said:
In series circuit, Resistor is a device that reduce the current in the circuit. And according to ohm's law, V = IR, when the current is reduced, the voltage will also be reduced. So I think resistor will reduce BOTH voltage and current. And if the voltage doesn't change, then what is the point of connect a voltmeter across a resistor, Right? So I think BOTH voltage and current are reduced by a resistor.

A resistor is a device that opposes current by reducing the voltage across it. If you look at a series circuit (a bunch of resistors and battery in series) you will see a voltage drop across each resistor, but the same current through each resistor.

IvaNMK said:
If a resistor in series would reduce current and/or voltage, will the current BEFORE passing thru the resistor be larger than the current AFTER passing thru the resistor ? Or the current will only change at the point where the resistor is put?

No, current is equivalent.

IvaNMK said:
How will the brightness of 2 lightbulb change if i put a resistor bewteen 2 identical lightbulbs?
How will the brightness of 2 lightbulb change if i put a resistor NEXT TO 2 identical lightbulbs? ( NOT BEWTEEN )

First, a lightbulb IS a resistor.

For resistors in series, the current is the same, while voltage will be different (less for each proceeding resistor).

For resistors in parallel, voltage is equivalent, while current MAY differ depending on the resistance of each "side."

Thank you

S_Happens said:
A resistor is a device that opposes current by reducing the voltage across it. If you look at a series circuit (a bunch of resistors and battery in series) you will see a voltage drop across each resistor, but the same current through each resistor.

What do you mean by opposes current? Push the current back?
So resistor will reduce voltage, but not current?

S_Happens said:
First, a lightbulb IS a resistor.

For resistors in series, the current is the same, while voltage will be different (less for each proceeding resistor).

So will the voltage be lesser after it pass one or several resistors? Keep decreasing?

IvaNMK said:
What do you mean by opposes current? Push the current back?
So resistor will reduce voltage, but not current?

Let's just stick to the concept and simply clarify your original ideas, as you weren't far off base to begin with. The equation V=IR can tell us many things, but it has to be applied correctly.

You deduced, correctly, that due to V=IR a resistor that reduces voltage also reduces current. Only when you look at the entire circuit, does this really apply. An increased resistance in the circuit will mean less current through the ENTIRE circuit, at a constant value (using a single loop circuit). What I mean to say is that in a simple circuit the current will be the same throughout.

If you want to apply the formula to a single resistor, then you must realize that the current is constant through the resistor. This means that the voltage must change indirectly with resistance (before the resistor there is none, and after the resistor it has seen the full resistance).

IvaNMK said:
So will the voltage be lesser after it pass one or several resistors? Keep decreasing?

Yes, there will be a voltage drop across every resistor. The sum of the voltage drops is equivalent to the voltage for the entire circuit.

Thank you for helping again!

S_Happens said:
If you want to apply the formula to a single resistor, then you must realize that the current is constant through the resistor. This means that the voltage must change indirectly with resistance (before the resistor there is none, and after the resistor it has seen the full resistance).

I don't quite understand this part. Do you mean voltage drop?
So if I have a given voltage and resistance, i can calculate the current through the resistor and that current is the same throughout the resistor?

"voltage must change indirectly with resistance"

- so if I constant current and resistance are given, then voltage will be different across the resistor? "before the resistor there is none, what is none? voltage?

thanks

Ok this what my book says about resistance:
"The principal applications of resistors are to limit the flow of current and, in certain cases, to generate heat."

The formula that you have V = IR I think you mean by conductance which has a symbol of G which is expressed my this formula:

[tex]G = \frac{I}{R}[/tex]

1 [tex] \Omega[/tex] is equivalent to 1A of current in a material when 1V is applied across the material. Voltage is the potential energy in electrical terms, but current is the movement of electrons in the wire where a resistor opposes this current.

Most of this I derived this from one of my dad's old books of electricity.

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that has high resistance, such as carbon or metal, and is designed to dissipate heat that is generated by the flow of current.

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a circuit in which all of the components are connected in a single loop or path. This means that the current flows through each component in the same direction, and the total resistance of the circuit is equal to the sum of the resistance of each component.

What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a circuit in which the components are connected in multiple branches. This means that the current can flow through each branch independently, and the total resistance of the circuit is less than the resistance of the individual components.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit can be calculated by adding the resistance of each component in the circuit. This can be represented by the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, and R3 represent the resistance of each component.

How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit can be calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where R is the total resistance and R1, R2, and R3 represent the resistance of each branch. To find the total resistance, simply take the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each branch's resistance.