Still very much unsure about major/career, need guidance

In summary: Lastly, if you're thinking of getting a PhD in physics, you'll have to put in YEARS of research, not just a few classes.
Zandorian
I have done this before, I know, and it may be getting old, but I still can't make up my mind.

Video Game Designer or Physicist.

I guess it comes down to whether I should want to be something that I think will be fun or something that will make me feel good about myself.

I also want to write books about social issues. It seems like people would pay more attention to a Physicist rather than a Video Game Designer.

However, being a computer software engineer right out of college and working my way into the game industry would be the best decision money wise. Not that I am just interested in money.

What I was thinking of doing was getting a dual-degree (two degrees at same time). Both in computer science and physics, then I could get a job and test the video game designer racket. If I don't like it, or if I just wanted to go ahead and get my Physics doctorate, I could do it.

These are my thoughts about it. Someone give me some good advice (I have had some b4). Someone told me a physics self-ed isn't possible, and I agree. I wouldn't have time. That's another reason to get my Ph.D! Just to know the mind of God

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to write books about social issues, neither physicist nor video game designer would be a good choice. The first could be dismissed as "What does that ivory tower dweeb know?" The second as "What does a low-life entertainment techie know?" Consider the rep that Noam Chomski has acquired. He is a famous linguist, maybe even a great one, at the top of that profession. But his books of social criticism are smeared as the products of a disordered mind.

I have another point. Perhaps by the time you get into the market the job of video game designer will have morphed into something else. Imagine someone setting out to become an animated cartoonist just before the Industrial Light and Magic revolution took off. But physics, some kind of physics, will always be there. You wouldn't really know which physics discipline really attracted you until grad school anyway.

Some professions that allow you to comment on society legitimately: sociology philosophy (ethics), poly sci.

advice from Holland

What I was thinking of doing was getting a dual-degree (two degrees at same time). Both in computer science and physics, then I could get a job and test the video game designer racket. If I don't like it, or if I just wanted to go ahead and get my Physics doctorate, I could do it.

It is up to you to understand which elements of each profession attracts you and why. Then you must think of what you really want to do with your life and how best to achieve it. There are no rules. You do not have to make black and white choices. Listen to your gut feeling. It is when you follow it you create your own field of expertise and in that differentiate yourself from mainstream. It won't be long before people find you when they need you. And you will be doing exactly what you want to be doing. It does not all have to be logic in the beginning. If there is something you want to achieve, but you do not have sufficient knowledge, find someone to collaborate with who does.

Last edited:
I'd avoid the computer game designer thing like the plague due to the recent trend of outsourcing anything computer-related overseas. Even if you can get a job in that field you can bet the salaries are going to drop (if money is a consideration).

1. What steps can I take to explore different career options?

There are several steps you can take to explore different career options. First, reflect on your interests, strengths, and values to identify potential career paths. Next, conduct informational interviews or shadow professionals in fields you are interested in. Additionally, consider taking courses or volunteering in areas that align with your interests. Finally, utilize career assessments or counseling services to gain further insight into potential career paths.

2. How do I narrow down my options and make a decision?

Narrowing down your options and making a decision can be a daunting task. Start by considering your long-term goals and which career paths align with them. Additionally, weigh the pros and cons of each option, including job outlook, salary, and work-life balance. It can also be helpful to talk to friends, family, or a career counselor for guidance and support.

3. What if I am interested in multiple fields and can't decide on just one?

It is common to be interested in multiple fields and struggle with choosing just one. In this case, consider pursuing a double major or minor to gain knowledge and skills in both areas. Alternatively, look for careers that combine elements from both fields, or consider working in one field and volunteering or pursuing hobbies in the other.

4. Is it okay to change my major or career path later on?

It is absolutely okay to change your major or career path later on. Many people end up in careers that are different from their original major or field of study. As you gain experience and learn more about yourself, your interests and goals may shift, and it is important to be open to making changes that align with your passions and values.

5. How can I gain relevant experience for my desired career?

There are several ways to gain relevant experience for your desired career. Consider internships, part-time jobs, volunteering, or joining clubs or organizations related to your field of interest. Additionally, networking can be a valuable tool for connecting with professionals and learning about opportunities in your desired career path.