Moment of Inertia with Variable Density Function

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a moment of inertia problem with variable density, specifically for a thin disk of uniform density and one with a linearly increasing density. The steps for finding the moment of inertia are outlined and a question about the proper method is raised.
Piamedes

Homework Statement

There are two parts to question, the first asks for you to find the moment of inertia I for a thin disk of uniform density, a relatively trivial problem.

My problem centers around that second part, "Repeat the case where the density increases linearly with r, starting at 0 at the center, but the object has the same mass as the original disk."

Homework Equations

[tex] I = \int_{object} \rho (r,\theta) r^3 dr d\theta [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that the density function is p=kr, where k is some constant I'll work out later, then the moment of inertia would be:

[tex] I = \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{R} k r^4 dr d\theta [/tex]

[tex] I = k \int_{0}^{2 \pi} d\theta \int_{0}^{R} r^4 dr [/tex]

[tex] I = 2 \pi \frac{r^{5}}{5} ]_{0}^{R} [/tex]

[tex] I = \frac{2k\pi R^{5}}{5}[/tex]

With this in mind I now would need to find k. I know that it must have units of kg/m^3 in order to make the moment of inertia have the proper units. My guess on how to do this is to integrate to find the total mass, which I know to be M, solve for k in terms of M and than back substitute:

[tex] M = \int dm [/tex]

[tex] M = \int \rho dA [/tex]

[tex] M = \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{R} kr * rdrd\theta [/tex]

[tex] M = k \int_{0}^{2 \pi} d\theta \int_{0}^{R} r^2 dr [/tex]

[tex] M = 2\pi k \frac{r^3}{3} ]_{0}^{R} [/tex]

[tex] M = \frac{2k\pi R^3}{3} [/tex]

Solving for K:

[tex] k = \frac{3M}{2\pi R^{3}} [/tex]

Now plugging that back into the equation for I,

[tex] I = \frac{2\pi R^{5}}{5} k [/tex]

[tex] I = \frac{2\pi R^{5}}{5} \frac{3M}{2\pi R^{3}} [/tex]

[tex] I = \frac{3MR^{2}}{5} [/tex]

Is this the proper way to solve a moment of inertia problem of variable density?

Thanks for any and all help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks just fine to me.

Thanks

1. What is moment of inertia with variable density function?

Moment of inertia with variable density function is a physical property that measures an object's resistance to rotational motion around a fixed axis. It takes into account the distribution of mass within the object, which can vary throughout its volume.

2. How is moment of inertia with variable density function calculated?

The moment of inertia with variable density function is calculated by integrating the product of the mass of each infinitesimal element of the object and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. This integral is represented by the formula I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis and dm is the mass element.

3. Why is moment of inertia with variable density function important?

Moment of inertia with variable density function is important because it helps us understand an object's rotational behavior. It is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics to analyze the motion of rotating objects and predict how they will respond to external forces.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia with variable density function?

There are several factors that can affect the moment of inertia with variable density function, including the mass distribution within the object, the shape of the object, and the axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis, the larger the moment of inertia will be.

5. How does moment of inertia with variable density function differ from moment of inertia with constant density?

Moment of inertia with variable density function takes into account the varying mass distribution within an object, while moment of inertia with constant density assumes that the object has a uniform density throughout. This means that the moment of inertia with variable density function will be more accurate in predicting the rotational behavior of an object with a non-uniform mass distribution.