Shock Wave in Space: Vacuum or Medium?

In summary, I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question as I am unsure where it fits. Some people talk about a shock wave in space, as in the shock wave from a supernova. I'm not sure about that. Maybe there is such a spherical symmetry that all of such gravity waves would cancel. But such a wave would travel at the speed of light.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Im not sure if this is the right forum for this question as I am unsure
where it fits.
I always think of a Shock Wave as something that travels through
a medium, as in a sonic boom from an aircraft, but some talk of shock waves
in space, as in the shock wave from a supernova, is this the correct
terminology? Do shock waves travel in a vacuum, if so what are they?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
i'm sorry i don't have a productive post, but I'm surprised nobody has given an answer

i don't know if this is right, but I would think that the shockwave from a supernova would be a wavefront of matter that is propagating through space away from the explosion

or, it is a the wavefront of EM radiation that was radiated all at the same time as it came from an explosion and since it's a lot of energy traveling 'together', then it would 'shock' anything it passed

shrumeo , thanks for reply, i have looked and googled, but it must
be one of those questions no one really thinks about.

wolram said:
shrumeo , thanks for reply, i have looked and googled, but it must
be one of those questions no one really thinks about.
If gravitational waves exist, then perhaps a wave front could be a gravity wave produced when mass collapses towards the center but then abruptly changes direction as it is forced outward by the explosion. I'm not sure about that. Maybe there is such a spherical symmetry that all of such gravity waves would cancel. But such a wave would travel at the speed of light

There is also an echo that occurs as light bounces off interstellar dust. Such an echo would appear to be a right of light growing with time. It is of the order of the speed of light also.

I've heard that there is also a neutrino surge that accompanies the initial explosion. It travels near the speed of light, but I don't know what damage that could cause if any.

And of course, just the light burst itself may cause the solar winds to change course and all blow in one direction. Such a dense concentration might offer a very quick change in gravitational field.

Mike 2
I've heard that there is also a neutrino surge that accompanies the initial explosion. It travels near the speed of light, but I don't know what damage that could cause if any.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the idea that radiation would do all the damage, any object in the path
of such an event is fried, but it seems we are of one mind about the "shock",
If an object were impervious to radiation would it feel anything?

1. What is a shock wave in space?

A shock wave in space is a type of disturbance or energy that travels through the vacuum of space. It is characterized by a sudden increase in pressure, temperature, and density, and can occur due to various sources such as supernovae explosions, solar flares, or even spacecraft entering a planet's atmosphere.

2. Does a shock wave in space occur in a vacuum or a medium?

A shock wave in space can occur in both a vacuum and a medium. In a vacuum, the wave is created by the sudden release of energy from a source. In a medium, such as the interstellar medium or a planet's atmosphere, the shock wave is caused by the interaction between the fast-moving particles and the slower-moving particles in the medium.

3. How fast does a shock wave travel in space?

The speed of a shock wave in space can vary depending on the source and the medium it is traveling through. Generally, shock waves can travel at supersonic or even hypersonic speeds, reaching velocities of up to thousands of kilometers per second.

4. Can a shock wave in space be harmful to astronauts or spacecraft?

Yes, a shock wave in space can be harmful to astronauts and spacecraft. The sudden increase in pressure and temperature can cause damage to spacecraft components and sensitive electronics. It can also be a hazard to astronauts if they are not properly protected from the effects of the shock wave.

5. How do scientists study shock waves in space?

Scientists study shock waves in space using various instruments and techniques, such as telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft. They can also use computer simulations to model and understand the behavior of shock waves. Additionally, data from previous missions and experiments can also provide valuable insights into shock wave phenomena in space.