Magnetic flow and mechanical advantage question

In summary, the conversation is about a layman seeking help with a problem related to tattoo machines and their magnetic flow and mechanical advantage. The machine consists of two electromagnets mounted on a steel bar, with a bar on a hinge at the other end. The direction of magnetic flow is important in determining the force that closes the hinge, with opposite poles attracting and like poles repelling. The individual is seeking clarification on the correct orientation of the magnetic poles for the strongest pull on the armature bar.
mapache
Hi - I'm a layman with a problem I'd really appreciate some help with. I've been studying tattoo machines and have a question on magnetic flow and mechanical advantage.
For background a tattoo machine is a essentially an electric horseshoe magnet with a bridge across the poles (doorbell switch): two electromagnets vertically mounted on a steel bar (the yoke). At the other end of the magnets there is a bar on a hinge (armature bar) - the fulcrum point is located below the bottom electromagnet. In the neutral state the armature bar is rotated away from the top electromagnet, so that when the electromagnets are activated it pulls the armature bar closed (it lays flat across the tops of the electromagnets). I hope this is clear with the diagram.

So my question is this: Does the direction of magnetic flow make a difference on the force closing the hinge? If so, what would be the correct orientation of magnetic poles for the strongest pull on the armature bar (does the diagram show the correct orientation of poles if it does matter)?

I'm trying to understand this better, but I'm not well versed in physics, etc.
Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• magnet-diagram.jpg
    magnet-diagram.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 560
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the direction matters. But it is very simple, opposite poles (N-S) attract, and like poles (N-N or S-S) repel.

1. What is magnetic flow and how does it work?

Magnetic flow is a type of fluid flow that is controlled by magnetic fields. It occurs when a conductive fluid, such as water or blood, flows through a pipe or channel that is surrounded by a magnetic field. The magnetic field causes the fluid to experience a force, which can then be used for various applications such as pumping or mixing.

2. What is the relationship between magnetic flow and mechanical advantage?

Magnetic flow and mechanical advantage are closely related in the sense that magnetic flow can be harnessed to create mechanical advantage. By using a magnetic field to control the flow of a conductive fluid, we can generate a force that can be used to move or lift objects, thereby increasing mechanical advantage.

3. How is magnetic flow used in industrial processes?

Magnetic flow is commonly used in industrial processes such as wastewater treatment, chemical processing, and food and beverage production. It is used to pump, mix, and control the flow of various fluids, resulting in increased efficiency and productivity.

4. What are the advantages of using magnetic flow in industrial processes?

One of the main advantages of using magnetic flow in industrial processes is its non-contact nature. This means that there is no physical contact between the fluid and the pumping or mixing device, reducing wear and tear and the risk of contamination. Additionally, magnetic flow can be easily controlled and adjusted, allowing for precise flow rates and improved process control.

5. What are some potential applications of magnetic flow in the future?

As technology continues to advance, we may see even more applications of magnetic flow in the future. Some potential areas of development include using magnetic flow for energy generation, transportation, and medical applications. Research is also being done on using magnetic flow to manipulate and control small particles, which could have implications in fields such as nanotechnology and drug delivery.