Angle of refraction of light in water

In summary, the angle of refraction of a pure yellow light ray reaching the surface of a pond at an angle of incidence of 60° and entering at an angle of 60° with the normal inside the water is 40.62°. This can be calculated using the refractive index μ = 1.33 and the equation μ = sin i / sin r. The error in calculation was due to using the incorrect formula μ = angle of incidence / angle of refraction instead of μ = sin(angle of incidence) / sin(angle of refraction).
Kaldanis

Homework Statement

A ray of pure yellow light reaches the surface of a pond at an angle of incidence of 60°. What angle does it make with the normal inside the water?

Speed of light in air = 300,000,000 m/s
Speed of light in water = 225,000,000 m/s
So the Refractive index μ = 1.33

Homework Equations

μ = angle of incidence / angle of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

μ = sin i / sin r
1.33 = 60° / sin r
sin r = 60° / 1.33

So the angle of refraction equals 45.11°. Is this correct? I believe this is the correct way to work it out, yet when I check the answer online using various calculators the answer comes up as 40.62°. Am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaldanis said:

Homework Statement

A ray of pure yellow light reaches the surface of a pond at an angle of incidence of 60°. What angle does it make with the normal inside the water?

Speed of light in air = 300,000,000 m/s
Speed of light in water = 225,000,000 m/s
So the Refractive index μ = 1.33

Homework Equations

μ = angle of incidence / angle of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

μ = sin i / sin r
1.33 = 60° / sin r
sin r = 60° / 1.33

So the angle of refraction equals 45.11°. Is this correct? I believe this is the correct way to work it out, yet when I check the answer online using various calculators the answer comes up as 40.62°. Am I doing something wrong?
yes, you are. And the problem is shown in your writing "μ = angle of incidence / angle of refraction" when it should be "μ = sin(angle of incidence) / sin(angle of refraction)"

You write that below but then you write "1.33= 60°/ sin r" and "sin r= 60°/1.33= 45.11°"

sin r= sin(60°)/1.33. Use a calculator to determine sin(60°) and once you have sin r, use a calculator again to determine r itself.

HallsofIvy said:
yes, you are. And the problem is shown in your writing "μ = angle of incidence / angle of refraction" when it should be "μ = sin(angle of incidence) / sin(angle of refraction)"

You write that below but then you write "1.33= 60°/ sin r" and "sin r= 60°/1.33= 45.11°"

sin r= sin(60°)/1.33. Use a calculator to determine sin(60°) and once you have sin r, use a calculator again to determine r itself.
Ah, I see now. Sin r = 0.6511469, so r = 40.62°

Thank you sir!

What is the angle of refraction of light in water?

The angle of refraction of light in water is the angle at which a light ray bends when it passes from air into water. It is determined by Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two mediums.

How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of refraction in water?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a light ray hits the surface of the water, directly affects the angle of refraction. As the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases. This is because the light ray has to travel through a denser medium, causing it to bend more.

What is the refractive index of water?

The refractive index of water is a measure of how much light bends when passing through water. It is approximately 1.33, which means that light travels 1.33 times slower in water than in air. This is why light bends when it enters water from air.

How does the temperature of water affect the angle of refraction?

The temperature of water does not significantly affect the angle of refraction. However, as the temperature of water increases, its refractive index decreases slightly. This means that light will bend slightly less when passing through warmer water compared to colder water.

Why does a straw appear bent when placed in a glass of water?

When a straw is placed in a glass of water, the light rays from the bottom of the straw travel from water into air. This causes the light rays to bend away from the normal, making the straw appear bent. This is due to the difference in refractive indices between water and air.