Advice on Reapplying for Physics Program after Not Meeting Entry Requirements

• Thread starter gutti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grades
In summary, the person did not meet the requirements to study physics at the university they applied to this year. They are considering taking a year off and reapplying next year.
gutti
Earlier this year i applied for university (I'm Scottish by the way and applied for a Scottish university). Really the only course i want to study is physics, and strathclyde university is the easiest option for me.

I applied for MPhys in Physics and got told i needed a BB in maths and physics at advanced higher level.

I didn't meet this as I didn't really work hard enough this year.

The university also offer a BSc in Physics with entry requirements being BBBB at higher level, last year i got 5 B's so more than enough to get into this course.

I contacted the university and they said there aren't any places to offer in the physics department at this time and that the chances are small for one becoming available.

I'm thinking of just taking a year out and reapplying next year but I would much rather be at university studying physics rather than wasting a year.

Has anyone got advice they can offer?

Physics news on Phys.org
im doing physics at the university of toronto and I want to give you my sincere advice not to take physics but go for engineering as they have much better career opportunities. the only position usually available for physics graduates are research, to become a professor and a high school teacher. there are other engineering jobs available to physicists but you will have to compete with engineers.

If there is one position you might be interested in is geology. you can go into the petroleum sector and that has very high paying jobs.

Don't waste a year away! Look at more universities for better options. I wasted away when i graduated from high school. Three years I waited to attend college.(i was 21 yrs old when i started community college.). My advice to you is find more universities to expand your options.

I was considering a lot going into the research field after university.

Also engineering degrees have higher entry requirements.

And Strathclyde really is the only available university because of financial situation etc.

It seems to be my only choice is to work for a year and then re-apply =(.

Maybe apply into a general science program and then transfer into physics.

What does "didn't meet grades (sort of)" mean?

"Didn't meet grades (sort of)" typically means that a student did not receive the desired or expected grade in a course, but may have come close to meeting the requirements.

Can a student still pass the course if they "didn't meet grades (sort of)"?

It depends on the grading system and the specific requirements for the course. Some courses may allow a student to pass if they didn't meet grades (sort of), while others may require a specific minimum grade to pass.

What factors can contribute to a student "not meeting grades (sort of)"?

There are many factors that can contribute to a student not meeting grades (sort of), including difficulty with the material, lack of studying or preparation, personal issues, or external circumstances such as illness or family emergencies.

How can a student improve their grades if they "didn't meet grades (sort of)"?

To improve their grades, a student can speak with their teacher or professor to understand where they fell short and work on those specific areas. They can also seek tutoring or study assistance, create a study plan, and prioritize their time and effort towards their coursework.

Will "didn't meet grades (sort of)" affect a student's future academic or career opportunities?

It depends on the specific situation and the requirements of the future opportunities. In some cases, a student may be able to explain the circumstances and still be considered for these opportunities. However, consistently not meeting grades (sort of) may have a negative impact on future opportunities and it is important for students to strive for their academic best.