Have you ever saved a life? Give blood.

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood Life
In summary: Blood supplies are critically low. Consider donating for the first or the nth time - go with a buddy. Be brave and protect our citizenry. Call the Red Cross at 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to make an appointment soon nearby. Your workplace may allow time off. In summary, donating blood is a great way to help save lives.
Loren Booda
Blood supplies are critically low. Consider donating for the first or the nth time - go with a buddy. Be brave and protect our citizenry. Call the Red Cross at 1-800-GIVE-LIFE to make an appointment soon nearby. Your workplace may allow you time off.

I believe that my 6+ gallons donated to date have saved several lives. It's a great experience to be part of the team processing my blood, a living legacy for those innocents needing a second chance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did it for the first time two weeks ago.

I almost passed out and had to call into work. :rofl:

I never weighed enough to give blood. :frown:

Loren, what a wonderful thing to do! You too Chaotic42!

I have a heart condition which would more than likely disqualify me from being able to donate. :( But if I didn't I think I'd do it. You get cookies and soda pop afterwards! Mmmm...

Evo said:

Loren, what a wonderful thing to do! You too Chaotic42!

Thanks.

I don't know why I never got around to giving blood before. I plan to do it every 8 weeks from now on.

I am too young to give blood at the minute but I intend to.

The Bob (2004 ©)

The Bob said:
I am too young to give blood at the minute but I intend to.

How old do you need to be? I've always considered it, but I thought you had to be 18...

Andy
AMW Bonfire

I know a 16-year-old girl who donated blood.

amwbonfire said:
How old do you need to be? I've always considered it, but I thought you had to be 18...

Andy
AMW Bonfire

You need to be 18. I am 16.
recon said:
I know a 16-year-old girl who donated blood.
Really? How did she manage that?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Only 5% of the population currently give blood. Call the Red Cross and ask them about getting your parent's permission if you're a minor; 16 may be the lower age limit. For those who have at least attempted to give blood, many thanks; others may wish to volunteer for the RC in another constructive way. E. g., I believe some gay people volunteer for them by ways other than giving blood.

I've been giving blood every 8 weeks since I turned 16. I don't know about other countrys or states but in California you can donate at age 16 with parents consent. It doesn't take that long and after wards, like someone metioned, you get cookies and juice. :smile:

Evo said:
I did it once in high school when I weighed 130 and almost passed out. Plus, my pulse and blood pressure are so low it was tough to fill the bag. I've been meaning to try again though.

I haven't given blood, not that I wouldn't just never seem to run into the blood drives on the right day (on medication, skipped breakfast and already feel loopy, etc). But, when I was in H.S. (um, ages ago), I was too young to donate, but still helped volunteer with our annual blood drive (I was in charge of putting out the snacks and just watching that nobody passed out at the snack table...it was always the big football players who passed out :biggrin:) Those snacks they put out are absolutely disgusting. I know they are to help keep your blood sugar up, but they are all the sorts of things that make me sick if I eat them (fruit punch, sugar-coated snack cakes...awful stuff). We have blood drives here at the university hospital all the time, so I'm bound to run into them one of these days when I don't have too crazy of a schedule and can spare a half hour after lunch.

The Bob said:
You need to be 18. I am 16.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Actually, its 17 here :tongue2: . I bring myself to go give blood. The problem is that I either get a case of the willys or I have a cold or something wrong which means I cant. The one time I was perfectly healthy and was going to go with my girlfriend, a couple of weeks before I broke up with her so didnt end up going.

Dad gives blood. Mum used to be she is anaemic now so cant.

Moonbear,

We have Famous Amos cookies, Coke product soft drinks, orange juice and water. Most meds are acceptable to the blood bank!

I nearly passed out when I had blood taken from me at the doctor's one time, but I'm 16 and can't give blood anyway. Perhaps I'll get into better shape some time soon and donate some blood when I'm old enough. However, I have saved 2 little kids from drowning at the pool I work at, so I guess that exempts me from a few pints?

wasteofo2,

In Japan you would be indebted to the welfare of those kids for life!

Cool dual pool rescue!

1. Have you ever saved a life by giving blood?

Yes, I have saved multiple lives by donating blood. Every time I donate blood, it has the potential to save up to three lives.

2. How does giving blood save a life?

When you donate blood, it is separated into different components such as red blood cells, platelets, and plasma. These components are then used to help patients with various medical conditions, such as those undergoing surgery, cancer treatment, or suffering from blood disorders. Your donation could potentially save someone's life by providing them with the necessary blood components they need.

3. Is there a specific blood type that is needed the most?

Yes, there is a constant need for all blood types. However, O-negative blood type is considered the universal donor and is often in high demand because it can be transfused to people with any blood type.

4. How often can I donate blood?

You can donate blood every 56 days. This ensures that your body has enough time to replenish the blood cells you have donated.

5. Are there any health benefits to giving blood?

Yes, donating blood can have health benefits for the donor, such as reducing the risk of heart disease and lowering the risk of certain types of cancer. It can also help regulate iron levels in the body.