Analog signal output from computer

In summary, the electrical engineering tech student is looking for help in interfacing a gauge cluster from a car with a computer to play a racing game. They don't care about the range or magnitude of voltage or current, but they would like to be able to output multiple linear DC voltage signals.
bmcguire88
Hello all,

I'm an electrical engineering tech student working on a little side project and I can't find anything to help me with a crucial part.

I have a gauge cluster out of an automobile that I want to interface with a computer to used while playing a racing game. I have a computer programmer friend and we have been able to extract the data from the game (speed, tach, boost, etc). I have the gauge cluster set up ready to go, and all I need to is output these signals from the computer to some usable DC voltage signals that I can wire into my gauge cluster. I don't care about the range or magnitude of voltage or current, as I can take care of all of this with op amps etc.

I just need to be able to output multiple linear DC voltage signals. I'm assuming some sort of digital to analog conversion has to take place. Also, what can I communicate this through? Is USB a possibility?

If this could be in any way similar to an analog output on a PLC that would be ideal...like 0 - 32768 represents a voltage scale range output of 0-10v (or something to that effect).

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The easiest thing would be to buy a cheap(ish) USB DAQ; you can buy one from e.g. National Instruments (although there are cheaper options).

The first problem I see is getting the game to output anything usable, assuming you can overcome that, I would suggest for simplicity you use either a serial port or a parallel printer port to send digital data to a uController. Interfacing the uController to your gauges should be fairly straight forward. But, again, I have serious reservations about you being able to interface with the game unless it is a game that you have the source code for.

Fish

1. What is an analog signal output from a computer?

An analog signal output from a computer is a type of signal that is continuously variable and represented by a continuous waveform. This type of output is commonly used to connect a computer to devices such as speakers, monitors, and printers.

2. How does a computer generate analog signals?

A computer generates analog signals through a process called digital-to-analog conversion (DAC). This involves converting digital information, which consists of 0s and 1s, into an analog waveform that can be sent to external devices.

3. What are the advantages of using analog signal output from a computer?

Analog signal output from a computer allows for higher quality and more accurate representation of data compared to digital signals. It also allows for a wider range of frequencies and can transmit signals over longer distances without losing quality.

4. Can analog signal output be converted back to digital?

Yes, analog signal output from a computer can be converted back to digital through a process called analog-to-digital conversion (ADC). This is commonly used in applications such as audio recording, where analog signals are converted to digital for storage and editing.

5. Are there any limitations to using analog signal output from a computer?

One limitation of analog signal output from a computer is that it is susceptible to interference and noise, which can affect the quality of the signal. It also requires specialized equipment and cables to transmit the signal, which can be more expensive compared to digital signal output.