Calculating Impact of 150kg Dropped onto 1,200kg Pile

• Thread starter JamesTheEng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, a mass of 150 kg is dropped from a height of 2.5 m onto a pile of mass 1,200 kg, causing it to be driven 7 cm into the ground. The initial velocity of the pile and driving weight immediately after impact can be calculated using the equation V = sqrt(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity. The average resisting force exerted by the ground can be found by using Newton's second law, F=ma. The person asking for help has attempted to solve the problem but is unsure if they are on the right track. They have found the initial velocity to be 7.004 m/s and the average resisting force to be 1471.68 N
JamesTheEng

Homework Statement

A mass of 150 KG is dropped onto a pile of mass 1,200 kg from a height of 2.5m and drives it 7cm into the ground. calculate (a) the initial veocity of pile and driving weight immediately after impact, (b) the average resisting force excerted by the ground.

Homework Equations

Not sure Please help.

The Attempt at a Solution

None worth writing please post a soloution and a step by step guide on how to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
JamesTheEng: You must list relevant equations yourself, and show your valid work; and then someone might check your math. We are not allowed to provide answers here. We can only check your math, after you do all of the work.

ok thank you, here is my attempt not fully done but could you let me know if I am on the right track?..
1st i apply this formula to find the velocity
V= Squareroot (2xGravityxheight) = 7.004

Then i put in the knowns i have into the equation V²=U²+2as to find accelleration

7.004²=0²+(2x(a)x(2.5)) i transpose and come to 9.8112

I then Apply Newtons 2nd law F=MA

9.8112x150= 1471.68N

Am i on the right track please message back.

1. How do you calculate the impact of 150kg dropped onto a 1,200kg pile?

The formula for calculating impact is mass multiplied by velocity squared, divided by 2.

In this case, the mass is 150kg and the velocity is the speed at which the object is dropped. If we assume it is dropped from rest, the velocity would be 0m/s. So the calculation would be (150kg x (0m/s)^2) / 2 = 0 joules.

2. What is the unit of measurement for impact?

The unit of measurement for impact is joules (J). This is a unit of energy.

3. How does the height of the drop affect the impact?

The height of the drop does not directly affect the impact. The impact is determined by the mass and velocity of the object. However, the height may affect the velocity at impact, as the object will have more time to gain speed if dropped from a higher point.

4. Is there a maximum impact that can be calculated?

No, there is no maximum impact that can be calculated. The impact will continue to increase as the mass and velocity of the object increases.

5. Can this calculation be used for any object dropped onto any surface?

The calculation can be used for any object dropped onto a solid surface. However, it may not accurately reflect the impact if the surface is not solid or if the object is not dropped from a significant height (such as dropping it from a few centimeters above the surface).