Are all solutions of x^4=-1 in the complex plane valid?

• Thread starter ques1988
  • Start date
In summary, there are 4 solutions to this problem in the complex plane, as determined by the fundamental theorem of algebra. These solutions can also be written in exponential form.
ques1988
I am trying to find a sollution to this in the complex plane. One that seems to work is sqrt(i), but is this valid or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it has a solution. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra tells you that it has 4 solutions. In this case they are :
[tex]\frac{\sqrt2}{2}+\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i, -\frac{\sqrt2}{2}+\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i,\frac{\sqrt2}{2}-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i,-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i[/tex]

yup,it is valid
x= +/- sqrt(i)
sqrt(i) = +/- (1+i)/sqrt(2)
so you get four solutions

phyzguy said:
Yes, it has a solution. In fact, the fundamental theorem of algebra tells you that it has 4 solutions. In this case they are :
[tex]\frac{\sqrt2}{2}+\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i, -\frac{\sqrt2}{2}+\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i,\frac{\sqrt2}{2}-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i,-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i[/tex]

We can also write them in exponential form.

[itex]-1 = e^{j180} = e^{j540} = e^{j900} = e^{j1260}[/itex]

Solutions are:
[itex]e^{j\frac{180}{4}} = e^{j45} = +\frac{\sqrt2}{2}+j\frac{\sqrt2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]e^{j\frac{540}{4}} = e^{j135} = -\frac{\sqrt2}{2}+j\frac{\sqrt2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]e^{j\frac{900}{4}} = e^{j225} = e^{-j135} = -\frac{\sqrt2}{2}-j\frac{\sqrt2}{2}[/itex]
[itex]e^{j\frac{1260}{4}} = e^{j315} = e^{-j45} = +\frac{\sqrt2}{2}-j\frac{\sqrt2}{2}[/itex]

I would like to clarify that the equation x^4=-1 does not have a real solution. However, in the complex plane, it does have four complex solutions. One of these solutions is indeed sqrt(i), which can be written as ±(1+i)/√2. This solution is valid and can be verified by substituting it back into the original equation. However, it is important to note that the other three solutions are also valid and should not be ignored. These solutions are -sqrt(i), ±(1-i)/√2, and -sqrt(i). In the complex plane, all four solutions satisfy the given equation and are equally valid. Therefore, it is important to consider all solutions when solving equations in the complex plane.

1. What is the general form of the equation x^4 = -1?

The general form of the equation x^4 = -1 is a quartic equation, which is a polynomial equation of degree four.

2. Can x^4 = -1 have real solutions?

No, x^4 = -1 does not have real solutions. This is because the fourth power of any real number will always be positive, and therefore can never equal -1.

3. How many complex solutions does x^4 = -1 have?

x^4 = -1 has four complex solutions. This is because complex numbers have both real and imaginary parts, so the equation can be satisfied by values of x that are not real numbers.

4. What is the relationship between x^4 = -1 and the imaginary unit i?

The imaginary unit i is defined as the square root of -1. Therefore, the fourth root of -1 is equal to i. This means that the four complex solutions of x^4 = -1 can be expressed as i, -i, i^2, and -i^2.

5. How can I solve x^4 = -1 algebraically?

One way to solve x^4 = -1 algebraically is by taking the fourth root of both sides of the equation. This will result in four complex solutions, as mentioned in the previous question. Another method is to rewrite the equation as x^4 + 1 = 0 and use techniques such as factoring or the quadratic formula to find the solutions.