Norms question (parallelogram law)

• Thread starter tourjete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a norm in the context of a vector space of continuous complex-valued functions. The norm is defined as the maximum absolute value of the function over the interval [a,b]. The conversation also explores the parallelogram law and how it relates to the norm, showing that the norm does not satisfy the parallelogram law and is therefore not an inner-product norm. The attempt at a solution involves using trigonometric functions to define the norm but results in incorrect calculations.
tourjete

Homework Statement

Consider the vector space C[a,b] of all continuous complex-valued functions f(x), x[tex]\in[/tex] [a,b]. Define a norm ||f|| = max{|f(x)|, x[tex]\in[/tex] [a,b]]

a) show that this is a norm
b) Show that this norm does not satisfy the parallelogram law, thereby showing that its not an inner-product norm.

Homework Equations

Parallelogram law: ||x-y||[tex]^{2}[/tex] + ||x+y||[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 2||x||[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2||y||[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mostly having trouble defining the norm. I'm a little unclear on what the concept of a norm is; we only went over inner-product norms in class. I draw the vector going from the origin to the maximum on [a,b] and to define the norm I wrote ||f|| = [tex]\sqrt{(([vcos])^2 + ([vsin])^2}[/tex] since that would make it always positive. When I used the parallelogram law, I used x = vcos(theta) and y = vsin(theta). However, I clearly defined the dorm wrong since I got that the two sides of the equation equaled each other.

Is there another way to define a norm? Am I choosing x and y in the parallelogram law wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi norm! :biggrin:

i don't understand what you're doing :confused:

if eg f(x) = x, g(x) = -x, then ||f+g|| = 0, but ||f|| = ||g|| = b :smile:

1. What is the parallelogram law?

The parallelogram law is a mathematical principle that states that the sum of the squares of the lengths of the four sides of a parallelogram is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the two diagonals.

2. How is the parallelogram law used in science?

The parallelogram law is used in science to determine the magnitude and direction of vectors. It is particularly useful in physics and engineering, where vectors are commonly used to represent forces and velocities.

3. What is the significance of the parallelogram law in real life?

The parallelogram law has many practical applications in real life. For example, it is used in navigation and surveying to calculate distances and angles. It is also used in sports, such as in the calculation of the trajectory of a projectile.

4. How is the parallelogram law related to the concept of norms?

The parallelogram law is closely related to the concept of norms, which are mathematical tools used to measure the size or length of a vector. The parallelogram law is one of the properties that a norm must satisfy in order to be considered a valid measurement of vector length.

5. Can the parallelogram law be applied to non-parallelogram shapes?

No, the parallelogram law can only be applied to parallelograms. However, there are similar laws that apply to other shapes, such as the triangle law and the parallelepiped law, which are used to calculate vector magnitudes in non-parallelogram shapes.