Expected Value and covariance of matrix

In summary, the conversation is about finding the mean and covariance of a 2x1 matrix A using the formula cov(A) = E[(A - E[A])(A - E[A])^{T}]. The person also asks for clarification on what is meant by the "mean of a matrix" and whether it is possible to find the covariance without a set of data.
tommyhakinen
I have a 2x1 matrix A. I would like to find out E[A] which is the mean of the matrix. How do I do this? what is the dimension of the resultant matrix? using this E[A], I am going to find the covariance of matrix A by this formula

cov(A) = E[(A - E[A])(A - E[A])[tex]^{T}[/tex])

could someone please enlighten me? thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
tommyhakinen said:
I have a 2x1 matrix A. I would like to find out E[A] which is the mean of the matrix. How do I do this? what is the dimension of the resultant matrix? using this E[A], I am going to find the covariance of matrix A by this formula

cov(A) = E[(A - E[A])(A - E[A])[tex]^{T}[/tex])

could someone please enlighten me? thank you in advance.

It depends on what you mean by the "mean of a matrix". I assume you are trying to find out what the elements of the matrix should be. Well if each element has a Gaussian distribution centered around 0, then the "average" vector should have all of its entries as 0. But this depends on your choice of distribution, mean for the element entries, and standard deviation.

Try to better define what you are saying

brydustin said:
I think you had better look at this:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/pmc/section5/pmc541.htm
to get started.

Thanks for the reply. but if my matrix A is a 2x1 vector which only has two elements, is it possible to find the covariance or i have to have the set of data in order to get the covariance?

I can provide some insight into expected value and covariance of a matrix. Expected value is a measure of the central tendency of a random variable, in this case, a matrix. It represents the average value of the matrix and is calculated by taking the sum of all the values in the matrix and dividing by the total number of values.

In order to find the expected value of a 2x1 matrix A, you would simply add the two elements in the matrix and divide by 2. The resultant matrix would have a dimension of 1x1, as it is a single value representing the mean of the matrix A.

Covariance, on the other hand, measures the relationship between two random variables. In this case, we are interested in finding the covariance of matrix A. The formula you have provided is correct. The covariance of matrix A is calculated by subtracting the expected value of A from each element in the matrix, multiplying them together, and then taking the average of all these values.

The resultant matrix of the covariance calculation would have a dimension of 2x2, as it represents the covariance between each element in the matrix A.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concepts of expected value and covariance in the context of a matrix. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you.

What is the expected value of a matrix?

The expected value of a matrix is a measure of the central tendency or average value of the elements in the matrix. It is calculated by taking the sum of all the elements in the matrix and dividing it by the total number of elements.

What is the significance of expected value in statistics?

Expected value is an important concept in statistics because it helps to measure uncertainty and predict outcomes in probabilistic situations. It is also used to calculate other important statistical measures such as variance and covariance.

How is the expected value of a matrix calculated?

The expected value of a matrix is calculated by multiplying each element in the matrix by its corresponding probability and summing up all the results. This can also be written as a matrix multiplication between the probability vector and the matrix.

What is covariance in matrix?

Covariance is a measure of the relationship between two variables. In the context of matrices, it is a measure of how much two matrices vary together. It is calculated by taking the expected value of the product of the difference between each element in the matrices.

Why is covariance important in statistics?

Covariance is an important concept in statistics because it helps to measure the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It is also used to calculate other important statistical measures such as correlation and regression coefficients.