Proving Inverses (Matrix Multiplications)

• Thread starter jwb
  • Start date
In summary, if A and B are n x n matrices and I+AB is invertible, then we can deduce that I+BA and (I+BA)B are also invertible due to being a multiplication or addition of only elementary matrices. However, the mathematical steps required for proving this may vary.
jwb
Let A and B be n x n matrices such that I+AB is invertible.

If B is invertible what can you deduce about the matrix I+BA.

I know that I+BA is invertible but not sure how to go about proving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you tell about the matrix (I+BA)B?

it is also invertible due to being a multiplication or addition of only elementary matrices. Its not the theory I am having trouble with its the mathematical steps needed to prove that it is invertible

jwb said:
it is also invertible due to being a multiplication or addition of only elementary matrices.

I think you are gettng confused between what you "know" (i.e. you know or you have guessed what the answer is) and what you are trying to prove.

(I+BA)B = B + BAB = B(I + AB)

Now think about which of those matrices you KNOW are invertible, and which you want to PROVE are invertible.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the properties of inverse matrices and how they relate to matrix multiplication. From there, I would use mathematical reasoning and proofs to support my deductions.

Firstly, we know that for any square matrix A, the inverse matrix A^-1 exists if and only if the determinant of A is non-zero. This means that if I+AB is invertible, then its determinant must be non-zero.

Next, let's consider the matrix I+BA. Since B is invertible, we know that B^-1 exists and its determinant is also non-zero. Using the properties of determinants, we can rewrite the determinant of I+BA as:

det(I+BA) = det(I) * det(BA) = det(BA)

Now, using the property of matrix multiplication, we can expand the product BA as:

det(BA) = det(B) * det(A)

Since both B and A are n x n matrices, their determinants are non-zero and we can conclude that det(BA) is also non-zero. This means that I+BA is invertible, as its determinant is non-zero.

Therefore, we can deduce that if B is invertible, then I+BA is also invertible. This can also be proven by showing that (I+BA)^-1 = I - B(BA+I)^-1A, which can be derived using the properties of inverse matrices.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I can confidently say that if B is invertible, then I+BA is also invertible, based on the properties of inverse matrices and matrix multiplication.

What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied with another matrix, results in the identity matrix. In simpler terms, it undoes the calculations performed by the original matrix.

Why is it important to prove inverses in matrix multiplications?

Proving inverses in matrix multiplications is important because it ensures the accuracy of calculations and allows for the possibility of "undoing" those calculations. It also allows for more efficient computation by avoiding the need for complex and time-consuming calculations.

How do you prove that two matrices are inverses of each other?

To prove that two matrices are inverses of each other, you can multiply them together and see if the result is the identity matrix. Another method is to use the determinant of the matrices to calculate their multiplicative inverses.

Can any matrix have an inverse?

No, not all matrices have inverses. Only square matrices (same number of rows and columns) with a non-zero determinant have an inverse.

What are some real-life applications of inverses in matrix multiplications?

Inverses in matrix multiplications are used in many fields, including engineering, economics, data analysis, and cryptography. They are used to solve systems of equations, perform transformations in computer graphics, and encrypt and decrypt data, among other applications.