What does the superscripted notation in matrix notation mean?

In summary, the conversation is about the notation used in an old test question involving a 3x3 matrix and the use of superscripted numbers. The person is unsure of what the notation means and asks for clarification. Another person explains that the notation represents multiplying the matrix by itself a certain number of times and that it simplifies calculations. It is also mentioned that only calculating A^3 is necessary to determine all powers of A.
mcgruff
This should be a really easy question, but I can't easily find the answer in any of my books. Anyway, in an old test question, the notation...

M100

...is used. The question gives M as a 3x3 matrix as follows

0 1 0
0 0 1
1 0 0

...and then it asks for M100.

From the key, I know the answer is still...

0 1 0
0 0 1
1 0 0

...however, I'm not sure what the superscripted notation means. Could someone please fill me in? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply M by itself 100 times. What you have is an product of elementary matrices, so it has finite order. That should simplify calculations.

Last edited:
joeblow said:
Multiply M by itself 100 times. What you have is an product of elementary matrices, so it has finite order. That should simplify calculations.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I feel sort of dumb---I thought it was some notation I hadn't seen before, given that is was three digits for a 3x3 matrix, not simply an exponent.

Actually, you only need to calculate [itex]A^3[/itex]. From that you should be able to see what all powers of A are.

The superscripted notation in this context refers to the power or exponent of the matrix. In this case, M100 means to multiply the given matrix M by itself 100 times. This is also known as matrix exponentiation. The resulting matrix will still be the same as the original matrix, as shown in the given answer. This notation is commonly used in linear algebra and has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. I suggest looking into further resources on matrix exponentiation to gain a better understanding of its significance and applications.

1. What is Matrix Superscripted Notation?

Matrix Superscripted Notation is a mathematical notation used to represent matrices in a concise and organized manner. It involves using superscripted indices to represent the rows and columns of a matrix, making it easier to perform operations and manipulate matrices.

2. How is Matrix Superscripted Notation different from regular matrix notation?

Regular matrix notation involves using parentheses and commas to separate elements in a matrix. Matrix Superscripted Notation, on the other hand, uses superscripted indices to represent the position of elements in a matrix, making it easier to identify rows and columns.

3. What are the benefits of using Matrix Superscripted Notation?

Using Matrix Superscripted Notation can make it easier to perform matrix operations, as the indices provide a clear and organized representation of the matrix. It also allows for quicker identification of specific rows and columns, making it useful in mathematical and computational applications.

4. How do you read Matrix Superscripted Notation?

Matrix Superscripted Notation is read as "A sub ij" where A represents the matrix, i represents the row number, and j represents the column number. For example, A32 would be read as "A sub 3,2" which indicates the element in the 3rd row and 2nd column of matrix A.

5. Can Matrix Superscripted Notation be used for any size matrix?

Yes, Matrix Superscripted Notation can be used for matrices of any size. The indices simply indicate the row and column number of an element in the matrix, so it can be used for matrices with any number of rows and columns.