1/2-system bra-ket manipulation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving showing that a certain expression is equal to another expression, using known properties of orthonormality and normalization. The problem also involves finding a new set of orthonormal kets that are simultaneous eigenkets of two operators, A and B, that commute and are both degenerate. The conversation includes the details of a specific example and a question about it. The question is the last one on an assignment and is due in 7 hours.
ausdreamer

Homework Statement

I've solved my problem now. I was trying to show that LHS=RHS:

(|+><-| + |-><+|)^2 = (|+><+| + |-><-|)

this can be done by using <-|->=1 (normalization) and <x|->=0 (orthogonal).

LHS:

(|+><-||+><-|) + (|+><-||-><+|) + (|-><+||+><-|) + (|-><+||-><+|) = 0 + |+><+| + |-><-| + 0 = RHS

One last question I have (though not related to the above question) is how to find a new set of orthonormal kets which both operators A and B have in common, given that operators A and B commute and are both degenerate. If anyone can explain how I'd go about finding these eigenkets that'd be great, thanks :)

Homework Equations

There's isn't one for simplifying these expressions.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, The + ket and - ket are orthonormal, so what does <+|-> =?

Rewrite the LHS as (...)^2 = (...)(...) and use orthonormality.

Yep I've used that to solve the first question (thanks for the help though!) Still would like some pointers on second question:

"One last question I have (though not related to the above question) is how to find a new set of orthonormal kets which both operators A and B have in common, given that operators A and B commute and are both degenerate. If anyone can explain how I'd go about finding these eigenkets that'd be great, thanks :)"

Are you looking for help for a specific problem or in general?

I have a specific example I'm working on currently...

Operator A is represented by A=[a 0 0;0 -a 0;0 0 -a], B=[b 0 0;0 0 -ib;0 ib 0].

Both A and B are degenerate and I've also shown that A and B commute [A,B]=0.

The question I'm struggling with is in Sakuria, and it is:

c) Find a new set of orthonormal kets which are simultaneous eigenkets of both A and B. Specify the eigenvalues of A and B for each of the 3 eigenket. Does your specification of eigenvalues completely characterize each eigenket?

All I've done on c) so far is find eigenvalues for A to be -a,-a,a with eigenvectors [0;1;0] and [0;0;1] for eigenvalue -a and -a, and eigenvector [1;0;0] for eigenvalue a...and for B, eigenvalues -b,b,b with corresponding eigenvectors [0;i;1] for -b, and [1;0;0] and [0;-i;1] for eigenvalues b and b.

This question is my last outstanding question on an assignment worth ~ 6% of my mark, making this question worth ~0.5% of my mark...And it's due in ~ 7 hours, so any help will be appreciated! :)
voxel has written out the question in full on these forums: https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-340930.html

Last edited:
Diagonalize B and find it's eigenvectors. Are they also eigenvectors of A?

Remember that any linear combination of the degenerate eigenvectors of A is also an eigenvector of A. You want to find those combinations which are eigenvectors of B.

1. What is the 1/2-system bra-ket notation?

The 1/2-system bra-ket notation, also known as Dirac notation, is a mathematical notation used to represent quantum states and operators in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is based on the use of bras and kets to represent vectors and dual vectors, respectively.

2. What is the significance of the 1/2-system bra-ket notation in quantum mechanics?

The 1/2-system bra-ket notation is essential in quantum mechanics as it allows for a concise and elegant representation of quantum states and operators. It also simplifies the mathematical manipulation of these quantities, making it easier to perform calculations and understand the underlying principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How is the 1/2-system bra-ket notation used to represent quantum states?

The notation uses a ket symbol, denoted by |>, to represent a quantum state. The state itself is represented by a vector, and the ket symbol indicates that it is a column vector. For example, the state |ψ> represents a quantum state ψ. The bra symbol, denoted by < |, is used to represent the dual vector or bra corresponding to the state. Thus, the bra <ψ | represents the dual vector of the state ψ.

4. What is the relationship between bras and kets in the 1/2-system bra-ket notation?

In the 1/2-system bra-ket notation, a ket represents a column vector, while a bra represents a row vector. The inner product of a bra and ket, <ψ | ϕ>, is used to calculate the probability amplitude of measuring the state ϕ when the system is in the state ψ. This relationship is known as the bra-ket notation for the inner product.

5. How is the 1/2-system bra-ket notation used to represent operators in quantum mechanics?

In the 1/2-system bra-ket notation, operators are represented using a combination of bras and kets. For example, the operator A acting on the state ψ is represented as A|ψ>. The adjoint operator, A†, is represented by <ψ|A†, and the product of two operators, A and B, is represented as AB. This notation allows for the straightforward manipulation of operators in quantum mechanics.