Heat transfer problem - not given tube thickness

In summary, the problem involves a 5 cm external diameter tubing with a superficial temperature of 200*C. The boundary temperature is 20*C and the convective heat transfer coefficient is 3.0 W/m^2*C. The equation used to solve for the heat loss is q = U*A*(T1-T2), where U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the external surface area, and T1 and T2 are the two temperatures given. However, the problem does not provide a value for the thermal conductivity of the tubing or its thickness. This could be because the conduction resistance of the pipe wall is small compared to the convection resistance, which means it can be ignored. More information about the type of
CatRunner

Homework Statement

We have 5 cm of external diametre tubing with 200*C of superficial temperature. The boundary temperature is 20*C and the convective heat transfer coefficient is 3.0 W/m^2*C

What is the heat loss

Homework Equations

q = U*A*(T1-T2)

1/U = 1/h1 + [r1 * ln (r2/r1)]/k1 + r1/r2*h2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, my problem is that I don't have a k value for the tubing, nor do I have the thickness of the tubing (or alternately, an inside and outside diametre). The only information I have is given (outside diametre, two temperatures, and the convective heat transfer coefficient).

I just have no idea how to tackle this without a k value or a tube/pipe thickness.

Thanks for any assistance

Physics news on Phys.org
CatRunner said:

Homework Statement

We have 5 cm of external diametre tubing with 200*C of superficial temperature. The boundary temperature is 20*C and the convective heat transfer coefficient is 3.0 W/m^2*C

What is the heat loss

Homework Equations

q = U*A*(T1-T2)

1/U = 1/h1 + [r1 * ln (r2/r1)]/k1 + r1/r2*h2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, my problem is that I don't have a k value for the tubing, nor do I have the thickness of the tubing (or alternately, an inside and outside diametre). The only information I have is given (outside diametre, two temperatures, and the convective heat transfer coefficient).

I just have no idea how to tackle this without a k value or a tube/pipe thickness.

Thanks for any assistance

You have all you need to solve this with the Heat Transfer Coefficient value for copper (h)
h = q / A* delta T

h = cal/sec/M2 * C
q = cal /sec
A = external surface area
delta T
So q = h * A * delta T

Last edited:
This problem brings up a good practical point. For most (but not all) heat transfer problems involving pipes (especially metal pipes), the conduction resistance of the pipe or tube wall is small compared to the convection resistance inside and outside the tube and may be ignored.

Ofter, the interior heat transfer is forced convection and the exterior is natural convection and you can apply suitable correlations. In addition, if the temperatures are high, insulation is added and radiation heat transfer is important. Other times, the pipe is sitting in the sun and you account for the energy absorbed.

Anyway, this will all make more sense as you study heat transfer. It is an interesting and practical subject.

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or material to another. It is important because it plays a crucial role in many physical and chemical processes, such as cooking, heating and cooling systems, and industrial manufacturing.

2. What factors affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the objects, the surface area of contact, the material properties of the objects, and the distance between them. Other factors such as the presence of insulation or convection currents can also impact heat transfer.

3. What are the three types of heat transfer?

The three types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or materials. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

4. How is heat transfer measured?

Heat transfer is typically measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal). The heat transfer rate is measured in units of watts (W), which is equivalent to joules per second. The temperature difference between the objects is also a factor in determining the rate of heat transfer.

5. How can heat transfer problems be solved?

Heat transfer problems can be solved using mathematical equations and principles, such as Fourier's Law for conduction, Newton's Law of Cooling for convection, and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law for radiation. These equations take into account the relevant factors and can be used to calculate the heat transfer rate or other related quantities.