Calculating the Centripetal force of a trebuchet

In summary, the conversation is about a person needing help with calculating the centripetal force of a trebuchet for a school project. They have tried to derive an equation from a free body diagram but are unsure if they are doing it correctly. They ask for assistance and are told to find the net force on the object and then find its component along the trebuchet's arm. The person then asks how to do that and is advised to ask their teacher or review their book for important points they may have missed.
James626
I need help with calculating the centripetal force of a trebuchet. I have tried to derive an equation from a free body diagram, but I am sure that I'm doing something wrong.
Does anyone know how to calculate the centripetal force?

Physics news on Phys.org
James626 said:
I need help with calculating the centripetal force of a trebuchet. I have tried to derive an equation from a free body diagram, but I am sure that I'm doing something wrong.
Does anyone know how to calculate the centripetal force?

Welcome to the PF.

The force is not centripital, is it? BTW, is this for a school project?

You find the net force on the object and then find its component along the trebuchet's arm (radial direction). Done.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

The force is not centripital, is it? BTW, is this for a school project?

Yes, this is for a lab that I am doing. I have also had doubts about the force not being centripetal. But I think that technically it is until the object is released.

Curl said:
You find the net force on the object and then find its component along the trebuchet's arm (radial direction). Done.

How do I do that? Sorry I literally have no idea what to do.

James626 said:
How do I do that? Sorry I literally have no idea what to do.

In that case, ask your teacher after class or go back through your book because you are missing some very important points.

1. How do you calculate the centripetal force of a trebuchet?

The centripetal force of a trebuchet can be calculated using the equation Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object being launched, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the trebuchet's swing arm.

2. What units should be used for the variables in the centripetal force equation?

The units for mass (m) should be in kilograms (kg), velocity (v) in meters per second (m/s), and radius (r) in meters (m). This will result in the unit for centripetal force (Fc) being in Newtons (N).

3. Can the centripetal force of a trebuchet be greater than the weight of the object being launched?

Yes, the centripetal force can be greater than the weight of the object being launched. This is because the centripetal force is the force required to keep the object moving in a circular path, while the weight of the object is the force of gravity pulling it downwards. The two forces are not directly related and can have different magnitudes.

4. How does the length of the swing arm affect the centripetal force of a trebuchet?

The length of the swing arm can affect the centripetal force of a trebuchet. A longer swing arm will result in a larger radius (r) in the centripetal force equation, which means a greater centripetal force is needed to keep the object moving in a circular path. Therefore, a longer swing arm may require a stronger counterweight or greater velocity to achieve the desired centripetal force.

5. Is calculating the centripetal force of a trebuchet important for its performance?

Yes, calculating the centripetal force of a trebuchet is important for its performance. The centripetal force is a crucial factor in determining the trajectory and distance of the object being launched. By calculating and adjusting the centripetal force, the trebuchet can be fine-tuned for optimal performance and accuracy.