Chain drive design, long length

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a chain driven system on a tricycle with a center distance of 65 inches and a 530 series chain with a pitch of 5/8. The question arises about the recommended center distance to pitch ratio, with the current ratio being 104. The purpose of the 60-80 limit is unclear, with speculation that it may be to avoid the need for additional tensioners. Suggestions for good references on chain design are also requested. The conversation ends with a question about the appropriate forum for this topic.
fusername
So I have a chain driven system on a tricycle that I am kind of stuck with. the center distance of the two sprockets is 65 inches, and the chain is a 530 series, which has a pitch of 5/8. Now I have seen some sources reference or mention a 60 to 80 maximum of center distance to pitch ratio. My current ratio is 104. Now my question is why is that limit in place. I currently am using a single tenionser near the rear sprocket as it is the most conveneint location to mount a tensioner, but it is very clear I will need a second tensioner at the front. I am wondering if the 60-80 rule is simply to avoid the need for a tensioner or two, or if there is something more fundamental I am missing. Any good references on chain design would be excellent, the book I have is kind of skimpy on design considerations and just has a bunch of wear equations.

Thank you, also is this the right subforum for this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never heard of that. When the center to center distance gets too great some kind of guide or rail may be needed. I see no reason to change the pitch though.

1. What is a chain drive and how does it work?

A chain drive is a mechanism that uses a chain to transmit power between two rotating shafts. It works by wrapping a chain around two sprockets, with one sprocket connected to the input shaft and the other connected to the output shaft. As the input shaft rotates, the chain moves and transfers the rotational motion to the output shaft, allowing it to also rotate.

2. What factors should be considered when designing a long length chain drive?

When designing a long length chain drive, factors such as the distance between the sprockets, the weight and speed of the load, the type and size of the chain, and the tension and alignment of the chain should all be taken into account. Additionally, the environment and operating conditions of the chain drive should also be considered.

3. How do I determine the appropriate chain size for a long length chain drive?

The appropriate chain size for a long length chain drive can be determined by considering the load requirements, speed, and sprocket size. It is important to select a chain that can handle the load and speed without experiencing excessive wear and fatigue. Consulting a chain drive design chart or using specialized software can also aid in selecting the appropriate chain size.

4. What are the common types of chains used in long length chain drive design?

The most common types of chains used in long length chain drive design are roller chains, silent chains, and leaf chains. Roller chains are the most commonly used type due to their high strength and durability. Silent chains are often used for high-speed applications as they operate smoothly and quietly. Leaf chains are typically used for heavy-duty applications and can handle high loads.

5. How can I ensure the longevity and efficiency of a long length chain drive?

To ensure the longevity and efficiency of a long length chain drive, proper maintenance and lubrication are crucial. Regularly inspecting and adjusting the tension and alignment of the chain, as well as keeping the chain and sprockets clean and well-lubricated, can help prevent excessive wear and extend the lifespan of the chain drive. It is also important to monitor the load and speed of the chain drive to ensure it is within the recommended limits for the selected chain type.