Asymptotes for numerical solution of ordinary differential equation

In summary, the conversation discussed a complicated differential equation from the Boltzmann transport equation and the search for a solution through numerical integration. The use of Runge-Kutta software and the difficulty of finding an asymptote at y = 0.151 were also mentioned. Suggestions were given on how to find the asymptote and the possibility of an asymptote being an illusion. The conversation ended with the conclusion that the asymptote at y = 0.151 may be due to physical reasons rather than mathematical ones.
Davide82
Hi!

I have a differential equation coming from Boltzmann transport equation which is a bit complicated and should be solved numerically instead of analytically.
I managed to get a plot using Runge-Kutta with software Derive.
The equation is in the second attachment.

In the papers of my teacher (where it states that solution has to be found by numerical integration) there is a plot where it shows a clear asymptote at y = 0.151 (attached).

How could I find this same result? Is there a way to find the asymptote? I can not let the computer calculate the function for x = infinite!

Attachments

• Asymptote.png
    Asymptote.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 672
  • eq.png
    eq.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the graph show the solution function? It's hard to tell because the vertical axis is labelled Xn and the horizontal axis is labelled x = [itex]\Delta m/T[/itex].

For other readers, the other thumbnail shows the differential equation to be
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{.255}{x^5}(12x + 6x^2 + x^3)[e^{-x} - y(1 + e^{-x})][/tex]

First of all I apologize for not having written my equation with in-line TeX; lately I was writing in the computer software section of this forum where TeX is forbidden and so I forgot to use it here.

Yes the graph shows the "y" function.

I was wondering how I can say that my solution isn't going any lower than 0.151. Maybe there is a way to find the asymptote without having the analytical solution?

One thing that you might try and do is look for terms in your equation which will be very small for large x, the exponential terms will be very small for large x and I might look at the equation:

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{0.255}{x^{5}}(12x+6x^{2}+x^{3})y
[/tex]

This can be solved more easily than the original equation.

But a horizontal asyptote of .151 is impossible. At a horizontal asymptote, the derivative must go to 0. As x goes to infinity, as mat_hunt said, the exponentials go to 0 so the derivative approaches
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= -\frac{0.255}{x^5}(12x+ 6x^2+ x^3)y[/tex]
which does not go to 0 unless y is going to 0.

Ok, I just tried to resolve that new equation; indeed Derive can solve analytically that equation and came with a solution but... this solution gives [tex]y = 10^{-478}[/tex] when x = 10...

If there is no asymptote, you mean that the plot I posted is misleading and the asymptote is only an illusion but the function is infact decreasing forever?

What you have seemed to have shown is that the asymptote is 0 rather than the one on the graph (what is you initial condition?).

HallofIvy was straight on the money, when he said that the horizontal asymptote is defined by dy/dx=0, you can plot the curve for y as a function of x as it reaches this asymptote an it appears to be:

[tex]
y=\frac{e^{-x}}{1+e^{-x}}
[/tex]

Thank you to all. So the asymptote shown in the first image maybe was due to physical reasons and not to mathematical ones.

What are asymptotes in the context of numerical solutions of ordinary differential equations?

Asymptotes are lines or curves that a function approaches but never crosses. In the context of numerical solutions of ordinary differential equations, asymptotes represent the behavior of the solution as it approaches infinity or a singular point.

Why are asymptotes important in numerical solutions of ordinary differential equations?

Asymptotes provide valuable information about the behavior of a solution as it approaches certain values or points. They can help in understanding the long-term behavior of a system and identifying any potential issues or instabilities in the solution.

How can one determine the presence of asymptotes in a numerical solution of an ordinary differential equation?

There are several methods for determining the presence of asymptotes in a numerical solution. One approach is to analyze the behavior of the solution as the independent variable approaches infinity or a singular point. Another method is to plot the solution and look for any noticeable trends or patterns.

Can asymptotes affect the accuracy of numerical solutions of ordinary differential equations?

Yes, asymptotes can affect the accuracy of numerical solutions in cases where the solution is sensitive to changes in the initial conditions or parameters. In these situations, the solution may not accurately represent the behavior of the system as it approaches an asymptote.

How can one handle asymptotes in numerical solutions of ordinary differential equations?

There are several approaches for handling asymptotes in numerical solutions. One method is to adjust the step size or time interval used in the numerical method. Another approach is to use a change of variables to transform the equation and remove the singularity. Additionally, special algorithms can be used for problems with known asymptotic behavior.