How did you discover Physics Forums

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary, Rhody found the forum through a google search for help with his undergraduate physics class, and has been addicted ever since.
rhody
Gold Member
Will keep mine pithy, late in 2008 a co-worker, really smart, Harvard undergrad, MIT Graduate, with honors turned me onto http://www.ted.com/talks" .
After watching a bunch of video's I stumbled on Garrett Lisi's E8 talk, thought it was cool. A few well placed searches on Lisi led me to PF, where I have been happy as a clam ever since (March 09, after lurking a bit before joining).
Funny how one thing leads to another, eh ?

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, Orstio, a PF member who owns and administers Everything-Science told me about PF and the homework forums. He mentioned the discussion forums and intensive use of LaTeX, and recommended I check it out. I did.

Probably google, I actually don't remember lol.

I probably came here via a link from a posting in one of the Usenet sci.physics.* newsgroups. PF used to have a bidirectional gateway to sci.physics.research, and I remember seeing posts from PF there. Or someone may have posted a link to a thread here from a similar thread in sci.physics or sci.physics.relativity. This was over six years ago, so I don't remember the details.

Last edited:
A google search led me to a thread here. I have long forgotten what it was I was looking for in the first place.

(April 2008)

I was searching for information on string theory. This forum was the most active of the knowledgeable forums. Then I found GD...

Evo said:
I was searching for information on string theory. This forum was the most active of the knowledgeable forums. Then I found GD...
And fell into a hole, not unlike the Ditch of Doom.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I had a dream... :D
That's beautiful Greg... hehe

Rhody... :biggrin:

Evo, I heard from VERY reliable sources that the combined General Discussion threads formed a hole in spacetime and out popped a rainbow unicorn which layed a chocolate covered egg that you then appeared out of. To everyone's pleasure of course.

Drakkith said:
Evo, I heard from VERY reliable sources that the combined General Discussion threads formed a hole in spacetime and out popped a rainbow unicorn which layed a chocolate covered egg that you then appeared out of. To everyone's pleasure of course.
:!)

<inserts 10 billion GOOBF cards in Drakkith's computer>

Evo said:
:!)

<inserts 10 billion GOOBF cards in Drakkith's computer>

I'm afraid to ask...but what are GOOBF cards?

Drakkith said:
I'm afraid to ask...but what are GOOBF cards?
Get Out Of Banning Free

Evo said:
Get Out Of Banning Free

Woohoo!

I wanted to read and learn about astrophysics and I think I came to the right spot.

I am a crank! :biggrin: I was looking for a way to define zero.
And Greg, I thought this was a high school project gone awry?

Evo said:
String theory ... :eek:

Evo said:

You were looking for string theory and you found G-D! I knew it!
How do I get this ink off from the "Crank Stamp?" :frown:

I was looking for help for my undergraduate physics I class :shy:. I got help, and I decided to return the favor. I spent most of 2004-2005 on the homework forums then I branched out to other forums once in a while :blushing:. That was 7 years ago!.

I came in through the Michio Kaku forums in 2003.

Math Is Hard said:
I came in through the Michio Kaku forums in 2003.

ha! i didn't know that! i guess something good did come from that experiment!

I really don't remember...I was a lurker for a while then I decided to join :)

I was googling "arguments for physicalism" and I ended up here in some HUGE legendary thread "Can everything be reduced to pure physics" 1 year ago or so. Until then, I never would've thought there are forums with people actually willing to discuss such things so I got a bit excited. I read other threads for a while and then decided to join.

I was killing lunchbreaks:

googling mathamatics and chess -> reading University of St Andrews website full of biographies of mathematicians -> reading Wolframs maths website -> PF.

Lurked for years and then joined. Totaly addicted. I've learned so much from PF, thankyou all. I wish I had more time to post. Great thread Rhody, I've been wanting to say all this.

I was tired of the attitude of yahoo answers were people would just expect the answer without working for it. So I searched for math forums on google, and this was the first one I liked :smile:

How about more mentors ? I am sure they have an interesting story or two to tell.

Rhody...

I was looking for the psychics network and ended up here by mistake.

Time and again searches in google for something or the other had led to PF. But I never joined that time. Few days back I was feeling bit upset on not being able to discuss physics with anybody for long time. Then in a Eureka moment I remembered PF and there I was :)

Jimmy Snyder said:
I was looking for the psychics network and ended up here by mistake.
Score one for the Jimster, seriously though, how did you find this place ?

Rhody...

As a software engineer I had not used my education in math and physics for a long time.
A couple of years ago I started giving private lessons (college+) to fill this gap in my life.

Then I found the puzzle forum below GD and fooled around a bit there.
After a while I branched out and became addicted. :smile:

Looking for a physics forum on google where people were interested in open discussion.

do any mods use physicsforums as "broader impact" or "outreach" on CVs or proposals?

I don't remember how I became aware of PF. My first post was a question concerning Zweibach's "First Course in String Theory". I got excellent help from SelfAdjoint, nrqed and others. SelfAdjoint is no longer with us. Afterwards, nrqed and I passed a large number of e-mails between us because he wrote a book which I read and sent him a list of errata and comments about it.

Dang Jimmy. You're an old ... like me! Seriously, I remember them well. We're lucky to have found PF. :)