What Causes Electric Shocks in Our Bodies?

In summary, the conversation is about someone needing help understanding the physics behind electric shocks for a physics assessment. They have some basic knowledge but need more information about the effects on the body. They have tried searching on Google but haven't found what they are looking for. One person suggests an article that may be of interest, while another suggests experimenting on oneself to gain a better understanding.
liv
I've got a physics assessment and I'd like to know the physics behind electric shocks etc. I know the basics, we're 70-80% water etc but I need to understand the physics of it. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
please help i haven't got a lot of time and I'm afraid I'm not very good at physics but i need it to help me pass yr 12

It is hard to help when your enquiry is so broad...

Do you need to understand the effect on the body, or the basics of electricity? Have you searched Google?

For a start, the human body has a high resistance... Get googling!

google's to big!

Hi,

I actually need to find out the effects on the body, I've got the basics and trust me, I've tried looking on google, but there are so many sites and hardly any have what I'm looking for. if you could help it would be fantastic, thanks

Liv

Probably not really what you`re looking for, but may be of interest...
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,65620,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

If not, then maybe you could try doing it on yourself and come up with an idea that way! :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does electricity affect the human body?

Electricity can affect the human body in various ways, depending on the amount and type of current. Small amounts of electricity can cause muscle contractions or tingling sensations, while high amounts of electricity can cause burns, nerve damage, and even death.

2. Can electricity pass through the human body?

Yes, electricity can pass through the human body as our bodies are made up of mostly water and minerals, which are good conductors of electricity. However, the resistance of the skin can prevent electricity from passing through in some cases.

3. What are the potential dangers of electric shock?

Electric shock can be dangerous and even life-threatening. It can cause burns, muscle contractions, nerve damage, and disrupt the heart's rhythm. In severe cases, it can lead to cardiac arrest and death.

4. How does the body produce electricity?

The body produces electricity through the movement of ions (charged particles) in our cells. Nerve cells, also known as neurons, use electrical signals to communicate with each other and control various bodily functions.

5. Can electricity be beneficial for the body?

Yes, electricity can have therapeutic effects on the body. It is commonly used in medical treatments, such as electrotherapy, to stimulate muscles, promote healing, and relieve pain. It is also used in devices like pacemakers to regulate heart function.