Calculating Distance from Center of Earth to Point with 0.50g Acceleration

In summary, the person is trying to calculate the distance to a point where the acceleration due to gravity is 0.50g, but is stuck because they don't understand how kepler's laws relate to the problem. They were able to find the equation for the gravitational force, but need to solve for the new location, which is remarkably simple. The new location is the distance from the center of the Earth to a point where the gravitational pull is half of what it is on the surface.
envscigrl
Problem:
Calculate the distance from the center of the Earth to a point below the surface where the acceleration due to gravity is 0.50g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface.
I am really stuck on this. I tried using T^2 = 4pi^2 / GMe *r^3
but it didnt work it could be because M is supposed to be the mass of the sun but I decided it should be the mass of the earth! But it wasnt, it didnt work. I just can't seem to find a way to relate Keplers Laws to this problem. Are there other equations I could use?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Universal gravitational law :
[tex] \frac{Gm_{1}m_{2}}{r^2}=m_{2}g[/tex]
m1 is the mass of the eart from its center up to the point. g is the gravitational acceleration at that point. m2 is the mass of an object you place at that point.
to find m1, you have to know the density of earth.

envscigrl said:
Problem:
Calculate the distance from the center of the Earth to a point below the surface where the acceleration due to gravity is 0.50g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface.
but it didnt work it could be because M is supposed to be the mass of the sun but I decided it should be the mass of the earth! But it wasnt, it didnt work. I just can't seem to find a way to relate Keplers Laws to this problem. Are there other equations I could use?
Thanks in advance!

You used kepler's law. It makes no mention of force. It would work for a body in orbit of the earth, T being the period of the orbit. But that is not the question, so that equation is completely irrelevant. use the equationg given by leong. consider:

[tex]
g=G*\frac{M}{r^2}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
0.5g = G*\frac{M}{r_{new}^2}
[/tex]

and solve for [tex] r_{new} [/tex].

Note: [tex] M [/tex] is the mass of the earth.

envscigrl said:
Problem:
Thanks in advance!

I don't know why you would use that formula- that's for time and radius of an orbit!

In general, gravitational force is [itex] \frac{Gm_{e}m_{2}}{r^2}[/itex] where me is the mass of the earth, m2 is the mass of the "test object". If r= R, the radius of the earth, then [itex] \frac{Gm_{2}m_{2}}{R^2}=m_2 g[/tex] so that [itex]\frac{Gm_e}{R^2}= g[/itex] as Leong said.

HOWEVER, only the mass BELOW the level of the object affects the gravitational pull. With me as the total mass of the Earth and R the radius of the earth, and ρ the (average) density of the earth, [itex]m_e= \frac{4}{3}\piR^3 \rho[/itex] so [itex]\rho= \frac{3m_e}{4\piR^3}[/itex]. The mass of the Earth below radius r is [itex]\rho\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3= m_e\frac{r^3}{R^3}= m_e\(\frac{r}{R}\)^3[/itex].

The gravitational pull on an object of mass m1 at distance r from the center of the Earth is [itex]\frac{m_em_1\(\frac{r}{R}\)^3}{r^2}= \frac{m_em_1r}{R^3} [/itex] and we want that equal to (1/2)gm.

We must have [itex]\frac{m_er}{R^3}= \frac{g}{2}=/frac{m_e}{R^2} [/itex] . Solve that for r (which is remarkably simple!).

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for objects falling to the ground when dropped.

2. How does gravity affect the Earth?

Gravity is what keeps the Earth in orbit around the sun and gives the planet its spherical shape. It also causes objects to fall towards the ground, including rain, snow, and other forms of precipitation.

3. How was gravity discovered?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering gravity in the 17th century when he observed an apple falling from a tree and realized that the same force that caused the apple to fall also kept the moon in orbit around the Earth.

4. How does gravity differ on other planets?

Gravity differs on other planets based on their size and mass. The larger and more massive a planet is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. For example, a person would weigh less on the moon due to its smaller size and mass compared to Earth.

5. Can gravity be turned off?

No, gravity cannot be turned off. It is a natural force that is always present and cannot be controlled by humans. However, objects can appear to be weightless in space due to the absence of gravity.