What is the best book for a beginner to learn physics?

• Thread starter AntiMe
  • Start date
In summary, the community college student is looking for a book to learn physics from. He came across this website and decided to buy "Introducing Pure Mathematics" by Robert Smedley. He is currently a community college student and is planning on transferring to Georgia Tech next semester. He is required to take physics 1/2 plus lab, but first he needs to take Calculus 1/2. He is also required to take physics if he wants to go to tech, and he wants to be prepared for the work load. He checked out the website and found that he could take calculus with calculus-based physics together.
AntiMe
So here it goes; pretty much I was searching up for "best book to learn physics from" and just so happen to come across this website. Before I go any further, I would like to explain my situation. I am currently a community college student, straight out of high school. I am not where I am due to finance or anything; I'm here because I was a below average student. Aside from that I am very interested in physics. I just never really had motivation, despite the fact that I would constantly find myself trying to research more and more on the subject. I do not consider myself an unintelligent person or incapable of comprehending many of the topics within this subject, more so I never had the drive or work ethic to excel beyond my insecurity. Despite being a failure in high school, I did take advance classes, honors and IB (Similar to AP).

As I said, currently I am attending a local community college and I've decided to take my education seriously. Not just for the sake of going somewhere without a definitive goal, but to accomplish my dream of being proficient in the fields of math and science. I plan on transferring to Georgia Tech, but right now I don't have the required classes to do so for this semester. Next semester, I plan on taking a Math Placement test in order to skip college algebra and head straight for Calculus 1/2. Before that I want to make up the times that I refused to stay focused on my school work. I've taken the liberty to buy 'Introducing Pure Mathematics' by Robert Smedley and I was wondering which physics book would be best for someone who has never taken the subject? Since right now I am an Engineer major I am required to take Physics 1/2 plus lab, but first I need Calculus 1/2 before I can even take the class. Not only that, but these are required classes if I want to go to Tech, and I really do.

Pretty much I just want to be prepared for the work load (in terms of math and science) -when- I get into Tech.

Physics news on Phys.org
worry about the classes you are taking now, worry about Physics when you get to it.

trying to think about the step your taking 5 steps from now will make you trip on your 2nd step.

I know this doesn't help your current situation but why take on more then you should?

when you get pass the prereqs to take physics, don't worry it will be there.

If I were you and were wanting to learn about a subject prior to taking the course, I'd just give Khan Academy a look-see. You don't need to work through a book unless you're preparing over the summer for a fall class or something like that. Familiarize yourself with the subject matter, but you don't have to master it until you take the class.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Checked out the website, really informative, and pretty much what I needed. And yeh, mainly what I was looking for was something to get me started on basic physics. I'll be spending some time on this.

In my college you can take calculus with calculus based physics together. See if your college has that option.

1. Why is self-improvement important?

Self-improvement is important because it allows individuals to reach their full potential, achieve their goals, and lead a more fulfilling life. By constantly striving to better ourselves, we can become more confident, resilient, and successful in various aspects of our lives.

2. How can I start my journey of self-improvement?

The first step in starting your journey of self-improvement is identifying areas in your life that you would like to improve. This could be related to your physical health, mental well-being, career, relationships, or any other aspect. Once you have identified your goals, create a plan and take small, consistent steps towards achieving them.

3. What are some effective self-improvement strategies?

Some effective self-improvement strategies include setting realistic and achievable goals, practicing self-reflection and self-awareness, seeking feedback and constructive criticism, learning new skills, and surrounding yourself with positive and supportive individuals.

4. How long does it take to see results from self-improvement efforts?

The time it takes to see results from self-improvement efforts varies for each individual and depends on various factors such as the specific goals, the level of commitment and consistency, and the complexity of the change. It is important to remember that self-improvement is a continuous journey and results may not be immediate, but they are worth the effort.

5. Can self-improvement be achieved without external help?

While external help and support can be beneficial in the self-improvement journey, it is not necessary. Many individuals have successfully improved themselves without any external assistance. However, seeking guidance from a mentor, coach, or therapist can provide valuable insights and support in achieving your goals.