Solving an Electric Field Due to an Infinite Cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a point outside of an infinitely long cylinder with a radius of 4.0 cm and a uniform volume charge density of 200 nC/m^3. The attempted solution involves converting to charge density and using Gauss's Law, but the correct answer can be found by using the volume of a cylinder and taking into account the symmetry.
TrolliOlli

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder of radius 4.0 cm carries a uniform volume charge density
ρ = 200 nC/m^3 What is the electric field at r = 8.0 cm

Homework Equations

I'm confused as to how to do this problem, I've tried converting from volume charge density to simply charge density λ and then solving with the equation for the E field due to an infiinite line charge, but this doesn't give me the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

(200 x10 ^-9)((4/3)(pi)(.04^3)) = Q

λ = Q / L so λ = Q (as we're taking L to be 1 meter in the above equation)

Efield due to infinite line charge= 2kλ/(.08)

the correct answer is supposed to be .23kN/c

Physics news on Phys.org

It looks like there is enough symmetry to use Gauss's Law.

SammyS said:
It looks like there is enough symmetry to use Gauss's Law.

I know but I tried finding Q as I showed above, by taking ρ = 200nC/m^3 and multiplying it by the volume (4/3 pi (.04)^3) to get Q = 5.36E-11

I then use Gauss's law: E(4pi(.08)^2) = 5.36E-11/ε0

this however gives me E = 75.306

What am I doing wrong?

(4/3)πR3 is the volume of a sphere of radius, R.

You should be working with a cylinder.

Edit: never mind I found the answer, Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

A cylinder of height 1 m is OK. A radius of 4 cm will give you the charge enclosed by a cylinder of height 1 m and radius of 8 cm, which is your Gaussian surface.

1. What is an electric field and how is it affected by an infinite cylinder?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle. An infinite cylinder refers to a cylindrical object with no end points or boundaries. The presence of an infinite cylinder can alter the direction and magnitude of the electric field in its surrounding space.

2. How do you calculate the electric field due to an infinite cylinder?

The electric field due to an infinite cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = λ/(2πε_0r), where λ is the charge per unit length of the cylinder, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the cylinder.

3. Can the electric field be negative due to an infinite cylinder?

Yes, the electric field can be negative due to an infinite cylinder. The direction of the electric field depends on the direction of the charge on the cylinder. If the charge is negative, the electric field will be directed towards the cylinder and will be negative. If the charge is positive, the electric field will be directed away from the cylinder and will be positive.

4. How does the electric field change as you move further away from an infinite cylinder?

As you move further away from an infinite cylinder, the electric field decreases in magnitude. This is because the distance between the point and the cylinder increases, resulting in a larger denominator in the electric field formula. Therefore, the electric field becomes weaker as you move away from the infinite cylinder.

5. Can the electric field due to an infinite cylinder be affected by other objects or charges?

Yes, the electric field due to an infinite cylinder can be affected by other objects or charges in its surroundings. This is because the presence of these objects or charges can alter the electric field lines and change the direction and magnitude of the electric field. However, the electric field due to an infinite cylinder is only affected by objects or charges that are close enough to significantly influence the electric field.