How to get the equation spring equation? Please help me understand

• Thread starter madeeeeee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, the equations m=Minital + deltaM, x=xinital + deltax, and F=-mg can be used to derive the equation x=(g/k)deltaM + ((Minital)(g)/k +xinital), where m is the mass, Minital is the fixed initial mass, deltaM is the additional weight added, x is the displacement, xinital is the displacement when no downward force is applied, deltax is the displacement from the unstretched position, F is the force of gravity, and k is the spring constant. To get this equation, one more equation is needed: the force that the spring exerts on a mass is equal to k times the extension. By setting the forces of
madeeeeee
How do you use the equations

m=Minital + deltaM
and x=xinital + deltax
and F=-mg

to get x=(g/k)deltaM + ((Minital)(g)/k +xinital)

(where m= mass. Minital is fixed inital mass and deltaM is additional weight added)
(where x= displacement. xinital is when no downward force is applied and deltax is displacement from unstretched position)

please explain how to get this equation

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be done. You need one more equation: Force that the spring exerts on a mass = k * extension.

so if I use F=-kdeltax than how can I now show the above equation?

Perhaps I can help if I understand the problem better. What was the statement of the problem? The equations can come later.

m = mi + Δm
Fg = -mg
so
Fg = -g(mi + Δm)

Fs = kΔx (positive since it is acting against gravity)

We are looking for Δx when the forces cancel so
0 = Fg + Fs
-Fs = Fg
-Fs = Fg = -g(mi + Δm) = -kΔx
devide by -k

Δx = g(mi + Δm)/k

The using x = xi + Δx
substitute Δx, multiply out and rearrange a bit and you get

x=(g/k)Δm + (g/k)mi +xi

1. How do I determine the spring constant in the spring equation?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, can be determined by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement caused by the force. This can be represented mathematically as k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

2. What are the variables used in the spring equation?

The variables used in the spring equation are the spring constant (k), the force applied to the spring (F), and the displacement caused by the force (x). These variables are all necessary in order to calculate the resulting force or displacement in a spring system.

3. How does the spring equation relate to Hooke's Law?

The spring equation is a mathematical representation of Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement caused by the force. The spring equation, F = -kx, is derived from Hooke's Law and is used to calculate the resulting force or displacement in a spring system.

4. Can the spring equation be used for any type of spring?

Yes, the spring equation can be used for any type of spring, as long as the force applied is within the spring's elastic limit. This means that the spring is able to return to its original shape after the force is removed. If the force exceeds the elastic limit, the spring may become permanently deformed and the spring equation may not accurately predict its behavior.

5. How can I use the spring equation to solve real-world problems?

The spring equation can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating the force required to compress or stretch a spring to a specific displacement, or determining the displacement of a spring under a given force. It can also be used in engineering and design to determine the appropriate spring constant for a desired level of stiffness in a spring system.