Determining the elemental composition of a continent.

In summary, this general knowledge of Earth's history can help us piece together information about the composition of different areas around the earth, but there is still much variation and uncertainty.
keysle
Is it possible?
With general knowledge about how the Earth must have started what can we know about the composition of different areas around the earth?

How accurate is this information?

Is there... like a density map I can look at?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
There is a lot of variation in the crust on a single continent. You may have to search specific regions that you are interested in.

keysle said:
Is it possible?
With general knowledge about how the Earth must have started what can we know about the composition of different areas around the earth?

How accurate is this information?

Is there... like a density map I can look at?

As the continents are drifting, what's under them and what's on them is changing...some continents were part of others if you go back in time for example.

This means that there are going to be a lot of over laps, and, variety even in one current continent.

You should pick the one you want to explore, decide upon a depth and number of parameters, and go from there.

:D

Continental crust formation is still not well understood - especially those continents/parts of continents (called Archean) where the oldest crystals have been found/dated (3.8+ b.y. old).

But what I sense that you're really asking is compositional differences as measured by density - if that's the case you might want to explore seismic tomography maps of the whole earth, but these are, by their nature, not high resolution.

http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_datasource_tomo.html

This is a free program for looking at earth-science data, including tomography. I think there are several free data sets available that can be plugged into the program for visualizing Earth structures.

Here is an excellent but highly technical article that discusses aspects of continental lithosphere, including density and compositional estimates.

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~pm8/PM_dwnld/Poudjom_Djomani_et_al_2001.pdf

The answer to your question is not an easy one. There are vast areas of continents that have not been explored at depth Although there are geological maps usually available for areas of many continents, these do not constitute an overall 'composition' of continents as they are, for the most part, maps of surface structure.

Thanks for the leads guys.
Sorry that my stay here is so mortal. I just wanted to get an idea for this. Just trying to get a general scope of mind to optimize my future.

1. What methods are used to determine the elemental composition of a continent?

There are several methods used to determine the elemental composition of a continent, including geochemical analysis, remote sensing, and isotopic analysis. Geochemical analysis involves collecting rock samples and analyzing them for their chemical composition. Remote sensing uses satellite imagery to analyze the surface composition of a continent. Isotopic analysis measures the ratio of different isotopes of elements to determine their abundance in a continent.

2. How accurate are the results of determining the elemental composition of a continent?

The accuracy of the results depends on the method used and the number of samples analyzed. Generally, geochemical analysis and isotopic analysis provide more accurate results compared to remote sensing. It is also important to consider the type of sample collected and its representativeness of the entire continent.

3. Can the elemental composition of a continent change over time?

Yes, the elemental composition of a continent can change over time due to geological processes such as erosion, volcanic activity, and tectonic movements. Human activities such as mining and pollution can also alter the elemental composition of a continent.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of determining the elemental composition of a continent?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the results, such as the type of sample collected, the location of the sample, and the analytical techniques used. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure accurate results.

5. How is the elemental composition of a continent used in scientific research?

The elemental composition of a continent provides valuable information about its geological history and can be used to understand its formation and evolution. It can also help in identifying natural resources and potential environmental concerns. Additionally, the elemental composition can be compared to other continents to study global patterns and connections.