Does anyone make a small high temperature and high pressure pump?

In summary, the conversation discussed the tasks of a researcher at a university investigating heat transfer fluids and the need for a pumping test rig to simulate plant conditions. The desired pump should be able to handle up to 500C at 40 bar and a pumping rate of 2-5l per minute. The rig will be made of stainless steel piping and if a suitable pump cannot be found, a piston arrangement may be used. The recommendation is to use a positive displacement piston pump made from steel or stainless.
Jack_O
Hello, I have recently started work as a researcher at a university investigating heat transfer fluids (HTF). One of the tasks is to build a pumping test rig to simulate plant conditions. One of the fluids being tested is a eutectic mix of biphenyl and diphenyl oxide which is similar in density and viscosity to water but boils at 257C.

Testing will be up to 460C at 35 bar so ideally I want to find a pump that can run up to 500C at 40 bar. The test loop would be fairly small with around 1-2l of HTF in the loop, pressurised before running the pump so it only needs to push the htf around the loop, a pumping rate of 2-5l per minute would be fine. I have contacted several companies so far without luck.

The rig will be made of parts from swagelok, either 1/4" or 1/2" stainless steel piping. If I cannot find a pump I may end up using some kind of piston arrangement to pump the HTF back and forth without a loop.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think a positive displacement piston pump made from steel or stainless should be fine for your application.

They list several brands at amazon.

1. What is the purpose of a small high temperature and high pressure pump?

A small high temperature and high pressure pump is designed to move fluids or gases at high temperatures and pressures. This can be used in various industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and power generation.

2. What are the key features of a small high temperature and high pressure pump?

The key features of a small high temperature and high pressure pump include a compact size, ability to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures, and efficient performance. These pumps are also typically made of durable materials such as stainless steel to ensure longevity.

3. Can a small high temperature and high pressure pump handle corrosive fluids or gases?

Yes, some small high temperature and high pressure pumps are specifically designed to handle corrosive fluids or gases. These pumps are often made with corrosion-resistant materials and have specialized seals and coatings to prevent damage.

4. How do I choose the right small high temperature and high pressure pump for my application?

When choosing a small high temperature and high pressure pump, it is important to consider the specific requirements of your application, such as the required flow rate, pressure, and temperature. It is also important to consider the compatibility of the pump materials with the fluid or gas being pumped.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a small high temperature and high pressure pump?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using a small high temperature and high pressure pump. This may include wearing protective gear, properly grounding the pump, and regularly inspecting and maintaining the pump to prevent accidents or malfunctions.