What's the difference between Mechanics, Dynamics and Kinematics?

In summary, Mechanics, Dynamics, and Kinematics are three subtheories of classical mechanics that study the properties of bodies, movement, and evolution under the influence of forces. Mechanics focuses on bodies that do not interact, Kinematics studies movement, and Dynamics studies evolution under forces. Key notions include mass, volume, velocity, acceleration, force, torque, and potential energy.
Antimatter
Mechanics, Dynamics and Kinematics?
Just wondering, been asking myself this for a while, so I thought I'd post it.
Thx for any replies already.

Physics news on Phys.org
Antimatter said:
Mechanics, Dynamics and Kinematics?
Just wondering, been asking myself this for a while, so I thought I'd post it.
Thx for any replies already.

Mechanics,classical mechanics that is,comprises 3 big subtheories:
1.Statiscs.Describes the properties of bodies that do not interact.E.g.it calculates mass center coordinates,inertia moments,volumes,surfaces of bodies.Its notions are:mass,volume,mass density,moment of inertia...
2.Kinematics.In general kinematics studies movement.Its notions include "coordinate","velocity","speed","acceleration","momentum","kinetic energy","angular momentum"...
3.Dynamics means evolution under the influence of forces.The key-word is 'force' and notions which include "force":torque,potential (enertgy),work,(mechanical) power...

Daniel.

Clarification²
Thank you, Daniel!

1. What is the difference between Mechanics and Dynamics?

Mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces, while Dynamics is the subset of mechanics that focuses on the causes of motion and changes in motion. In other words, mechanics describes how objects move, while dynamics explains why they move.

2. How is Kinematics different from Mechanics?

Kinematics is also a branch of mechanics, but it specifically deals with the description of motion, without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects, rather than the causes of these movements.

3. Can you give an example that illustrates the difference between Dynamics and Kinematics?

An object falling from a height can be described using kinematics by measuring its position, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time. Dynamics, on the other hand, would explain why the object is falling by considering the force of gravity acting on it.

4. Are there any other branches of mechanics besides Mechanics, Dynamics, and Kinematics?

Yes, there are other branches of mechanics such as statics, which deals with objects at rest, and fluid mechanics, which studies the behavior of fluids. Each branch focuses on a different aspect of motion and forces.

5. How are Mechanics, Dynamics, and Kinematics used in real life?

These branches of mechanics are used in various fields, from engineering and construction to sports and video game design. Understanding these concepts helps in predicting and controlling the movement of objects, which is crucial in many applications.