Cost of Chemical Engineering vs Applied Physics Books

In summary: I've never heard of anyone actually doing it that way --- it's more like "I've heard this, so I'm going to do it that way." Might be worth checking out.
cronxeh
Gold Member
Why are all Chemical Engineering books at least a $100 or more, while Applied Physics books go for around 20-30 bucks a piece?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because Chemical Engineers know how to make money and Applied Physicists are in it for their own gratification.

I was told by a chem-e friend that chem-e's make more money than other engineers, and have shorter life spans (from inhaling all those chemicals).

yes well i switched from ChemE to MechE and the difference between the two is merely +5k for ChemE in salary a year.

The point about the books is that in both instances the material is practically the same - fluid dynamics, mass/energy transfer, etc. Yet applied physics books are cheap and have more in-depth theorital material, while ChemE books usually have examples with some theory, which isn't always even explained in terms of how it was achieved.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...urceid=1500000000000001827190&dest=9999999997

http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?chunk=25&mtype=&wtopic=Electrolyte%20solutions&qwork=5115282&S=R&bid=8165413227&pqtynew=0&page=1&matches=2&qsort=r

Couple classics in physical chemistry --- "kwitcher belly-aching." Book prices are set by what the market will bear, position on the best seller lists, and by publication "set-up" costs --- anything less than some minimum number printed really runs up the price --- chem Es never pay for books out of pocket (this is the assumption in pricing), employers buy the books, or the taxpayers cover the costs as "professional expenses" deductions. Best-sellers? Technical books are bestsellers?

H, C, & B (the green monster) is a classic --- the price reflects it --- $600? Yikes! I got to buy a "book vault." Harned & Owen? 'Nother classic. Out of print --- used to be an ACS "cash cow" --- got nicked sumpin' 'tween 50 - 100 bucks 30 years ago --- it hasn't appreciated quite as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking to a guy who was doing graduate study in ChemE and he told me that ChemE is overresearched. Is there any truth to this?

This is more a question for academic and career guidance --- "overresearched?" That's what everyone says when the project vanishes around the corner in the toilet --- another 2-3 years work staring you in the face, digging out the literature, reading, getting back up to speed, equipment, apparatus construction/set-up, wrangling with the thesis committee, TAing for money, dumpster diving for food, furniture, and clothes ------ eevvveeerrrryyyyything is "overresearched."

1. What factors contribute to the cost difference between chemical engineering and applied physics books?

The cost difference between chemical engineering and applied physics books can be attributed to several factors. One major factor is the complexity of the subject matter. Chemical engineering involves a wide range of concepts and applications, making the textbooks more comprehensive and, therefore, more expensive. On the other hand, applied physics books may have a narrower focus and cover fewer topics, resulting in a lower cost.

2. Are there any differences in the production costs of these two types of books?

Yes, there are differences in the production costs of chemical engineering and applied physics books. Chemical engineering books may require more specialized knowledge and research, which can increase the production costs. Additionally, chemical engineering textbooks may require more illustrations and diagrams to explain complex concepts, which can also add to the production costs. Applied physics books, on the other hand, may have lower production costs due to their more theoretical nature.

3. Do the publishers play a role in the cost difference between these two types of books?

Yes, publishers do play a role in the cost difference between chemical engineering and applied physics books. Some publishers may specialize in one field over the other, which can affect the availability and cost of textbooks. Additionally, publishers may have different pricing strategies for different subjects, which can also contribute to the cost difference.

4. Are there any alternative options for obtaining these textbooks at a lower cost?

Yes, there are alternative options for obtaining these textbooks at a lower cost. One option is to purchase used textbooks, which can be significantly cheaper than buying new ones. Another option is to check if the textbooks are available in electronic format, as these are often cheaper than physical books. Additionally, some universities may have rental programs or libraries where students can borrow textbooks for free.

5. Is the cost difference between these two types of books reflected in the job market and salary potential?

The cost difference between chemical engineering and applied physics books does not necessarily reflect the job market and salary potential for graduates in these fields. Both fields have a high demand for skilled professionals, and the salary potential can vary depending on the specific job and location. Ultimately, the decision to pursue a career in chemical engineering or applied physics should not be based on the cost of textbooks, but rather on personal interests and career goals.