Coordinates and change of base

In summary, the conversation is about solving equations using vectors and transposing. The problem includes two equations with variables a and b, and another two equations with variables c and d. The goal is to find the values of a, b, c, and d.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-05-12at100357PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand where 2v1 + 3v2
and
4v1 - 3v2

came from.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see that the vectors are raised to T which I'm pretty sure means they're transposed but that still doesn't get me anywhere.

Where's Figure 3.29a? You should post the whole example to help us get a clearer picture of the problem.

You are solving the equations
[tex]x= \begin{bmatrix}11 \\ 7\end{bmatrix}= a\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 2\end{bmatrix}+ b\begin{bmatrix}3 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which is the same as the two equations a+ 3b= 11 and 2a+ b= 7. Can you solve for a and b?
And
[tex]y= \begin{bmatrix}-5 \\ 5\end{bmatrix}= c\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 2\end{bmatrix}+ d\begin{bmatrix}3 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which is the same as the two equations c+ 3d= -5 and 2c+ d= 5. Can you solve for a and b?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, thanks, I got it now.

1. What are coordinates?

Coordinates are a set of numbers that describe the position of a point in space. They are typically written as (x,y) for two-dimensional coordinates or (x,y,z) for three-dimensional coordinates.

2. What is a change of base?

A change of base is a mathematical operation that converts a number from one numerical base system to another. This is often used in computer science and engineering, where different base systems such as binary, decimal, and hexadecimal are commonly used.

3. How do you convert coordinates from one base to another?

To convert coordinates from one base to another, you can use a conversion formula or algorithm specific to the base systems you are working with. For example, to convert from decimal to binary, you can use the repeated division method.

4. Why is it important to understand coordinates and change of base?

Understanding coordinates and change of base is important in many fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to accurately describe and manipulate points in space, and to efficiently work with different base systems in computing and data representation.

5. What are some real-life applications of coordinates and change of base?

Coordinates and change of base are used in many real-life applications, including GPS navigation, mapping and surveying, computer graphics, and data encryption. They are also essential in fields such as astronomy, physics, and engineering for precise measurements and calculations.