Measuring water pressure in an open tank

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to measure water pressure in an open tank with a precision of 2mm. Various suggestions are made, such as using a piezoelectric transducer or a deformable bladder, and considerations such as barometric pressure and the size of the tank are brought up. The conversation ends with a recommendation to look into auto float type gas tank senders as a potential solution.
vasco_990
Hello to everyone...

I've been reading these blog and searching the web trying to find a solution for my problem, but I couldn't find anything.

I need to meassure the water pressure (differential pressure) in an open tank.
The colum of water is aprox. 10-15cm tall.
I need to do these at all times, with an electronic sensor with any sort of analoge output (voltage, current). Also I need a sensor with a precission of about 2mm.

Can anyone help me with the sensor model an connection?... how does it meassure the pressure?... you sink it in the water or you do it with a air column?... if it so, you have to take in consideration water condensation?...

Thanks in advance!... and sorry for the bad english.. its not my native languaje...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've searched pages like farnell... but i can´t find anyting that suits my needs... most of the sensor are for gases... not water... and i don't know if measuring a water column could cause condensation to break the sensor...

Welcome to PF, Vasco. Your English is admirable.
I'm uneducated, but like to mess about with stuff like this. It seems to me that one of the easiest approaches would be to put a piezoelectric transducer in the bottom of the tank. That would be a simple measurement of the weight of the water column above it.

te problem is that the sensor needs to measure between 0-10mBar (0-10cm H20) and ai can't find a piezoelectric transducter that measures that...

Hmmm...
What about perhaps some sort of deformable bladder (like a balloon), which could transfer an air pressure signal via tubing to an analogue gauge?

edit: I just thought of a couple of things that eluded me before. First, won't the water pressure change according to the surrounding barometric pressure? If so, is it a problem? Is that what you meant by "differential pressure", and if so wouldn't you have to have a barometric off-set to your water pressure gauge?
My other thought is that you didn't mention the area of your tank. I might be mistaken about this, but it seems to me that having a large "footprint" for your measuring device should increase the sensitivity. (What I mean is that 5mBar on .5 m2 should be easier to decode than the same pressure on .05 m2.)

Last edited:
If you can't find a piezo pressure transducer you're not looking hard enough.

Try looking up auto float type gas tank senders. That will give you an analog output that should be sensitive enough to work with.

What is water pressure?

Water pressure is the force exerted by water against the walls of a container or surface. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

Why is it important to measure water pressure in an open tank?

Measuring water pressure in an open tank is important because it allows us to understand the amount of force being exerted by the water, which can impact the stability of the tank and the safety of its contents. It also helps us monitor the flow and distribution of water within the tank.

What are the different methods of measuring water pressure in an open tank?

There are several methods for measuring water pressure in an open tank, including using a pressure gauge, a pressure transducer, or a manometer. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the best method to use will depend on the specific needs of the tank and the accuracy required.

How do you calculate water pressure in an open tank?

To calculate water pressure in an open tank, you will need to measure the height of the water in the tank (in feet or meters), the density of the water (in pounds per cubic foot or kilograms per cubic meter), and the acceleration due to gravity (in feet per second squared or meters per second squared). You can then use the formula P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the water in the tank.

What factors can affect water pressure in an open tank?

There are several factors that can affect water pressure in an open tank, including the height of the water, the density of the water, the temperature of the water, and the presence of any additional substances or particles in the water. Changes in these factors can impact the overall pressure and must be taken into consideration when measuring and monitoring water pressure in an open tank.